Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheWildRover

Salvaging Heads from Integrated Lines

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago I managed to find 3 brand new Airflo 40+ Beach lines. I put one as a complete line on one of my reels, but the issues with the weld connecting the head to the running line have me worried. I'd like to take one of the lines and turn it into a head that I can loop onto a running line (that I already have), in case the integrated head and running line part way while I'm fishing.

I basically need to turn it into a backup solution that I can have confidence in. I'm looking to cut the head off the line and put loops onto both ends so that I can add it to a pre-existing, pre-looped running line. Does anyone have an recommendations for doing this, preferably an easy method? I was thinking whipped loops, or at least one where the head connects to the running line so that it's a bit smoother running though the guides.

I look forward to your suggestions, thank you in advance.

Hi There,

some time back i wanted to make a floating line (very buoyant) with a short 6ft sinking head for fishing rock gullies in the surf zone.  I cut the head of the floating line (rio mainstream) in half and then cut 6ft off the head of a rio deepsea 400g.  I joined them using one long piece (about 6 inches) of 50lb mono core.  With two nail knots on either side and then another two nail knots in the middle.

I didnt use knot sense or super glue as I still want it to flex in the loop on the cast.

my 

5c

I have used shooting heads extensively for 50 years, and I make my own heads, at times. I have cut off the heads of worn out full lines and even cut up a NEW full line in order to get the interchangeability with both the running line component and the head component. Sometimed motor propellers do the job for me nd I have to salvage what I can.

The loops used when used as a head really don't have much different requirements from tippet loops and to-backing loops. They need to go through the guides quickly and easily...as they all do....BUT they need to do that abrasive act thousands of times. For that reason I do not like braided soft material. It frays and wears out and you either ignore it and tempt the gods or you replace it often.

The one loop most are NOT aware of, which I use often, is the double nail knot loop. Maybe this evening I can post a picture of one but it is two nail knots back to back leaving a short loop tied with 30# mono. If you are really crafty it can be tied so the loop material comes out UNDER the second, end knot, but either way works fine. I cover the nail knots with Loon Sense or Pliobond. It can be tied quickly ON THE WATER if necessary. It's strength is in the TWO ends being nail knots. Stress on the loop fighting fish is shared between so only 1/2 stress on either single knot. I have never had one fail. They are VERY abrasion resistant and if you tie them with Fluoro there is no UV deterioration to worry about over the years.

Maybe tonight I can post a picture. Once you see one you can figure out how to do it.

Or you can tie a doubled, single nail knot loop. Tie a single nail knot in the usual fashion....but using doubled mono so the loop overhangs the end. I won't vouch for the strength since I have't fished one yet but you can experiment as the strength is easily testable.

I wouldn't use either of these for Tarpon or big pelagics but light to medium inshore fish they are fine.

PMP

Petercoetzee,I use the same methods for connecting lines and loops using braided mono and I've had some of those lines for many years w/ no problems as PeterPat suggests w/ the braid wearing out.I don't use the middle two knots you do,make sure lines abut ea other in the sleeve and put a dab of aquaseal at that point where they meet to keep it from hinging at that point as well as covering the nailknots on either end w/ aquaseal.Clip frayed ends w/ a nailclipper,it cuts closer than scissors.I also don't coat the whole junction for the same reason.

Peter,I laughed when you said that about the boat motors as that's happened to me a couple times! I made  several 6-10' sink tips from the last line that got shredded.

One of my favorite home-made lines is a clear I line w/ the first 20' removed and replaced w/ a 15' tip one size up from the original I line using sinktip sections RIO sells for their versitips (chop the loop off) but connected to the I line via a 30lb mono sleeve.I've snagged the 25lb leader butt sections in the rocks and had to break them and the braid did not slip.It's my go-to line for inland river fishing in water 6-15' deep.

I use those pre made braided loops on the back of my heads.Just overwrap about an inch on both sides of the joint and coat with knot sense.I have heads up to 20 years old and they are still good.

Airflo lines are polyurethane (PU) and have a low melting point to do a welded loop.

If trying to avoid welds, I've had the best luck with whipping a loop using GSP thread and coating AquaFlex or similar flexible glue.

I fish heads a lot, and prefer to use homemade loops made from Cortland 35lbs braided mono. I never have had one come loose, and they go through the guides pretty easily (especially if you coat the nail knot tah secures the end of the loop.). They ahve the advantage that they grip the line over a large area, so they don't damage the coating, and can be quickly and easily replaced if stepped on, etc. See the articles on Dan Blanton's site for the article on how to make them.

Thanks for the input everyone! I've got more than a month to prepare, so I'm going to keep thinking about this. Feel free to keep adding ideas if you have any. I'm probably going to try two different methods on the two spare lines I have.

Russ, I don't trust myself enough to do a weld, and I don't trust the welds that Airflo does. I'm probably going to avoid them at all costs. Thanks for the suggestion.

As others have said, I have taken a favorite running line and attatched a head with a short 4" leangth of braided mono running line. A nail knot at each end ties with 20 lb power pro made a great way to attatch it long term...