Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Extra spool of mono?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone that uses braid as their primary line, bring backup spool of mono in case the conditions get windy? I was thinking of doing this, and wasn't sure how common it is. Though I've never had personal experience, everyone tells me mono has much better feel in the wind then braid does. However I feel like I'm the last to figure things like that out all the time :p

If you don't do this, what do you use your extra spool for?

For instance, do you have it spooled the same as your main spool, just in case an eagle builds a nest in it at 2 am in chest deep water? Or do you have it spooled with something different?

I bring a spare spool with mono only when I think Albies will be around. I don't worry about wind knots and loosing too much braid on windy days just get the habit of feathering you cast.

Ice

.... everyone tells me mono has much better feel in the wind then braid does....

This is the opposite of my experience. When it's windy the small diameter of braid is important. Less wind resistance gives you a better cast. I have never seen guys break out the mono when it's blowing right in their faces.

Wind does not cause wind knots, but loose slack in your line on the spool will. I actually find it easier to fish braid with wind than without. Wind does give you a big belly of line on the cast, but it also provides tension on the line, so it wraps on the spool better.

On a windless day you still get a belly of line simply due to the arc of the cast. But then it sits there limp. This lack of tension will cause problems as the line winds onto the spool loosely/poorly. So feather your cast, run the line through your fingers until your lure digs, use lures that cast far and dig quick (like a krocodile spoon) every once in a while to clean up your spool.

Loose line wraps on the spool will also cause problems when that biggin finally hits and starts taking drag. The line on your spool digs into itself and "bites"(I don't know how else to describe this), which renders your drag useless, and you lose lure +lots of braid +nice fish.

I have other set-ups loaded with mono for certain applications, mostly from the boat. As far as windy conditions- braid beats mono hands= down!

Thank you for the tips, but while I'm aware of the casting benefits of braid, I was talking about using mono for feel when it is windy. I have heard that the mono will let you feel your plug much better through the wind then braid will.