Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

What's your opinion...1 or 2 piece Rod?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I'm in the market right now for a new plugging rod...capable of throwing up to 3 oz. I'm leaning towards the Lami rods....my question is whether to get a one or two piece. I'm leaning toward putting a conventional reel on it if that makes a difference. Your help is greatly appreciated.

------------------

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will go fishing"---Henry David Thoreau

BL,

I may take a beating for this but all of my serious rods used to be one piece.

However, after owning several high end three and four piece fly rods, and finding them to be excellent performers, I see no reason why a good two piece rod won't do. Much easier to transport in a vehicle, and from what I've seen you will lose nothing in performance.

Above all, try to cast it before you buy it.

Spigola

bigluke:

i know a lot of guys here like one piece rods for obvious reasons (nothing to go wrong or out of alignment etc.) but believe me unless you've got really high ceilings, live on the beach, have a decent roof rack, and a tolerant wife it's just not worth it.

i have 1 and 2 piece rods, IMHO there is no perceptable difference in action or performance between the similar rated rods.

if it really was an issue, you'd see a lot more 1pc fly rods...and with few exceptions you just don't.

BTW: check your PMs

my 2 pence.

I use both and like the 2 piece better for storage and security . I leave my truck unattended when I fish in Ct and RI and like the piece of mind that is a little harder to steal my gear when it is inside instead of in the roof rack . nothing is safe if they want it , they will get it or break it !

Spig and Felt,

That is correct. Multi piece FLY RODS are fine. A 2 piece surf rod is NOT an equal to a one piece. The differenc being in the way the different rods are used.

The problem with a 2 piece surf rod has PRACTICAL problems more than performance problems. The main problem is the tip ferrule loosening up during fishing. If you fish a 2 piece in the surf, you will constantly be re-seating the ferrule. If you work a pencil popper with a shaking motion on your retrieve, you will continuously have to reseat. A surf rod is subject to some serious vibration from certain retrieves as well as the dampening of the rod on casts. This is what loosens the ferrule up. There is a fairly easy fix, though. Put a tight wrap of electrical tape where the sections meet and most of this problem goes away. Ferrules also wear out over time and become looser. This wear will increase if you don't seat the ferrule properly and allow it to loosen again and agian. One more maintenance concern and potential problem comes with the 2 piece.

The bottom line is- go for the 1 piece if you can deal with its storage and transportation. If you can't, make sure you tape the sections together when your on the beach.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 04-08-2002).]

I have both one and two piece surf rods and have not seen a performance or practicality problem with the two piece rods, even working pencil poppers. Just make sure the two pieces are seated good and tight.

------------------

John B

mako7@monmouth.com

Guess it depends on the blank and how much power one can build into the butt.

A few months ago Ron Arra and I had a discussion about the one vs. two piece XRA 132-2 blank (11 footer).

As I understand it, the two piece factory rod is offered only as a spinning outfit from Lamiglas.

Ron mentioned that if the butt section of this two piece blank could be made a little beefier, one could actually get a bit more oomph and likely a bit more distance when shooting the heavier stuff (3 oz and up), particularly when doing a pendulum-style cast on a conventional setup.

As we speak, Lami is working on building the beefier-butt version of the XRA-1322 two piece blank and will begin to offer it in a factory conventional wrap this summer (July).

Oznavad is right about the whole loose ferrule thing, and it goes double for this stick b/c it's a plugging stick (=more casts per outing than a chunking stick).

But I guess one would be checking the ferrule every once in a while anyways, right?

I love my one piece XRA 132-2. It will fling a country mile. The downside is that it is a pain to transport and I always have to worry about leaving it on on my rod rack unattended (no room in the truck to lock it up).

In that regard, the two piece heavers I currently work with (a Zziplex Dymic LT 14 and an Outcast 1625) give me more peace of mind and functionally work quite well provided I'm diligent about check the alignments of the two pieces.

-FWW

p.s. Hay Big Luke if you wanna check out my Lami rig lemme know...swing by anytime.

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

[This message has been edited by fishweewee (edited 04-08-2002).]

I don't see what the big deal is. In an hour or so of fishing you check your line/leader a couple of times, your drag a couple of times, you clean your lure/change your bait g-d knows how many times. Is it such a big deal to give your tip section a half twist maybe once an hour (if even that?)

i got both but i like the 2 piece dealys as i can take a greyhound and just carry it on with me and my tacklebox.the one piece i really like tho as well too so im stuck in the middle as usual.

oh and one more tip trick,rub some beeswax or fiddlers rosin on the end of your tip section,it keeps it from twisting and flying out so you dont look all googlieish too.i use the beeswax on all mine,get it at the healthfood stores.