Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sams

Van Penn 710

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I started my first attempt at a van penn this eveving. Also my first time using the bridgeport to machine metal. I learned that you need to plan a little better than I did and stay away from the area beneath the pickup side of the bail.

vanpenn1.jpg

I may drop down to a 1/4" mill instead of a 3/8" and go for 4 slots on attempt number 2.

While not the prettiest thign in the world I was ready to use this rotor untill I saw where I crackes the aluminum below where the bail arm attaches. I figure that with a big fish pulling drag this whole pieve could crack off and leave me with a runaway fish and nothing to stop it. Time to check BST for a rotor or find one online someplace. I do have a second reel that I will be taking a try at later this week.

If anyone has a good way of measuring or even better a template to work from that woudl be a great help.

Sam

I used clear packing tape and graph paper to lay out the cuts in my rotors.

Put a piece of clear packing tape on the rotor from one bail mount to the other. Draw your cut ideas with a sharpie on the tape. Slots, holes, whatever. Don't like the way it looks? Pull the tape off and draw a different style.

Cut a strip of graph paper to fit the same area of the rotor from one bail mount to the other, from the edge of the cup on top to the bottom.

Use that to measure exactly where and how big your cuts and holes should be.

Reduce the stickiness of the tape by putting it on the back of your hand, or on your shirt. This way you can put it on the graph paper and still be able to pull it off.

Make the final template on a new piece of tape, marking the center point of the holes. Put it on the rotor to make sure it looks good. I drill right through the tape. I then connect the holes to make slots.

A bridgeport is a great tool... I wish I still had access to one.

Lay it out as Nptr23 suggests and make a narrower slot and that doesn't go as deep into the cup.

Adding a manual roller to this? The 710 is a great little surf reel.

Here's a couple picks of a 710z that i just finished...I wasn't brave enough to attempt the slots though.  It's not perfect, but not terrible for my 1st attempt!

post-66349-14230802725909_thumb.jpg

post-66349-1423080272964_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple picks of a 710z that i just finished...I wasn't brave enough to attempt the slots though.  It's not perfect, but not terrible for my 1st attempt!

[ATTACHMENT=5042]IMG_0313.jpg (1,871k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=5043]IMG_0312.jpg (2,105k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Nice... where did you get the Pick-up?

Another thread on here mentioned a guy who makes them and sells them on fleabay * Do a search and you'll find his stuff. Seems to lay line pretty well.

(*edited - please don't refer people to specific shops or sites, thanks. TimS)

I went back to the drawing board and had our CAD guy make me a up a template so I would not have the same issues a second time. Much better this time around. I just need to drill the bottom and figure out how I want to finish it.

2012-04-02172258.jpg

sam

Thanks. I have one more cup do machine. Then I need to drill and both of them before I start trying to figure out how to anodize them.

Sam

I'm thinking of upgrading the bearings in these reels to something like a ceramic abec 5. Has anyone else done this and is it worth the expense?

Sam

I'm thinking of upgrading the bearings in these reels to something like a ceramic abec 5. Has anyone else done this and is it worth the expense?

Sam

I've been working working on a 704, and from all the research I've done it seems that stainless steel radial bearing are the way to go. Reels dont see the rpm's that would make ceramic bearings desireable. Also, a ceramic bearing IMO, given the price, would not be affective unless you replaced all the bushings with some form of bearing.

I just finished up milling the slots in spool #2 and got them both drilled out.

[img=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/sammy6477/sideview.jpg]

Time to get the insides cleaned up and put in new bearings so these things are ready for action once the fish show up. I was thinking anout trying to figure out how to out in a clutch and waterproof them, but that is starting to look like a task for next winter. I still need to sew up a new plug bag and time is getting short.

Any comment, tips etc.. appreciated. This is my first time around so if I'm looking tio get in trouble or miss something that will make me happier with these reels let me know.

Oh, if you've never had a chance to play with a Bridgeport try and get your hands on one. That thing is fun.

Sam