Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArcheryRob

FAIL - Newbie trying to twist wire

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Ok, I did the research on here and bought welding wire to do the through wiring. All other aspects of plug making seemed to be well, but I fell down again. ;) Twisting wire on a homemade jig around a #1 or 3/16" screw driver seem a little big, IMO, but you guys are the experts. This welding wire seems to not want to hinge around the other wire. It would rather bend over it's length than hinge at the hard stop.

Look at this loose crappy twist.

[img=

A bigger than I was thinking front loop, but I can live with this.

:D

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/archeryrob/Lures/WireProblems_3.jpg' alt='WireProblems_3.jpg'>

I figure Nube problem, you know, but this wire seems like it should be more rigid to bend around the tail shaft. If it just the wire or Nube failings? :)

the wire is good. How are you holding the plug and what are you using to do the warps?

I hold the plug between my knees using one set of pliers to hold the loop and the other to make the wraps. The best way I can describe it is trying to stretch the wire as I wrap it.

Thanks Bluebird, the YouTube link came to me on the reply to thread notification. That seems simple enough and I'll just get out and buy a pair of round nose pliers. It looks so simple, but Man was I failing fairly hard. Twisting on the loop with the pliers look like a much better idea.

Also, on another note. The back was drilled out and the weights set before dipping. The nose grommets did not fit in the 1/8" drilled hole. I had to drill 3/32" to get them in. I did not want to re-dip them now that they are painted and sparkled. How deep does the linseed oil penetrate and I soaked them for about 5 or 10 minutes submerged completely. I was thinking of sealing the front with epoxy but some water could come up from the swivel area. Do you think the oil penetrated more than 1/64"?

Do you think the oil penetrated more than 1/64"?

What type of wood is it is the greater question. Yes the BLO should have penetrated past 1/64 dia. Different woods need different protection. Ayc could probably be used without protection but birch needs a lot of protection. Practice on making tailwraps and they get easyer. The roundnose plyers work well! :D

Thanks Bluebird, the YouTube link came to me on the reply to thread notification. That seems simple enough and I'll just get out and buy a pair of round nose pliers. It looks so simple, but Man was I failing fairly hard. Twisting on the loop with the pliers look like a much better idea.

Also, on another note. The back was drilled out and the weights set before dipping. The nose grommets did not fit in the 1/8" drilled hole. I had to drill 3/32" to get them in. I did not want to re-dip them now that they are painted and sparkled. How deep does the linseed oil penetrate and I soaked them for about 5 or 10 minutes submerged completely. I was thinking of sealing the front with epoxy but some water could come up from the swivel area. Do you think the oil penetrated more than 1/64"?

The nose grommet is .152 OD. 3/32 is .093. You should use a 5/32 drill .156 on the nose grommet hole. Or use the 5/32 drill for the through wire from nose to belly hook hole.

sorry for the lousy picture... I bend around two pieces of drill rod or any round stock. Just anchor them about the thickness of your wire apart into the end of anything solid. Placing your wire between them and grabbing the end with stout pliers, you can make perfectly round loops with a little practice. Hope this helps a little.700

Sorry, I meant 5/32" as 3/32" is smaller than 1/8". My only long bit is 1/8" and the wood is Poplar. I was thinking about taking a tooth pick and dripping/rubbing some on the drill hole. I will drill more properly with the next plugs, I am still learning the ropes for saltwater and through wiring. :D I have only made freshwater lures with screw eyes before.

Rob wiring like anything we do as builders takes practice. The more you do it the better you will become at it. I know this probably sounds like a waste but if you screw up cut the wire out and try again. There is not just one way, or a best way in fact there are many ways to bend wire.

Me I don't use any special jigs just hand strength, a pier of jewelry pliers and a regular pair of pliers. The jewelry pliers starts the loop bend, and then I just finish the loop with my hands, moving the wire not the plug. The wraps are done with my thumb and the wires length. Finish by squeezing the wire tight with the regular pliers.

Looking at you spaghetti mess on your plug, what you need to do is force the last wraps under the swirl of the wrap. This is done by putting pressure on the wire as you turn.

To finish Cut the end off as close to the wrap as possible leaving a small tag of wire, and then with the regular pliers press the tab end under the wrap with hand pressure. The pressure will tighten the rows of wrap together.

I wrap the wire around a round nose set of pliers first, looks like you have that part working.

then I put the small loop in a large steel vise to hold the loop while I wrap the turns.

putting it in a vise allows me to pull hard on the wire to make it tight in the wraps

if the first wrap doesn't look right, you can un-wrap and try it again ....

not sure if you cut that tail end off before you took the picture, but leaving it longer will give you more leverage in making the wraps.

I actually end up bending the last 1/2" perpendicular with the pliers so I can pull harder in the end