Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Killian

Cod fishing Reel?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looking for the best Reel for Cod fishing I got $300 to spend. Shimano TLD 2speed?

Just not sure. Fishing at times can be around 500ft.

Post this in the bottom forum. Braid, mono, jig, bait? Need some help there in order to be more specific. There are a bunch of options - Saltist, Torium, Penn, avets, etc in that range. If you could spend a few more $$$ you'll have some more options.

I use a Saltiga 40 which I think is the ultimate cod reel. 150lb.braid is overkill so I would scale it down to 50 or 65. You will have less scope in your line and you can use less lead to hold bottom. I just bought a Trinidad 16NA which I have paired with an 8ft Shimano Terez rod which I'm going to try especially for jigging. It's so light so I can jig all day!

Really no need for a 2 speed for codfishing. If oyur going to use it mostly for codfishing Trinidad TN16DC and a Saltiga 30 is what I use but it's alittle more money.

The FinNor OFC16L or OFC20L (lowspeed) is absolutley one of the best reels for around $200.

I have tried just about them all :)

YIKES! I see lots of fail in this thread. 2 speed for cod fishing? 150lb Power Pro? 500 feet? Where on earth are you fishing? Surely not New England cod.

My recommendation, get a single speed reel like a Saltist 30, Torium 30 or if you want something nicer go with a Trinidad 30. Stick with no more than 60lb PP and go for capacity. There is absolutely no need for 150lb PP, I've never seen a cod in that size and even if you're fishing double hooks, you aren't likely to get close to that. Match that reel to a Shimano Trevala rod and you've got a setup you can use all day without fatigue.

Sounds like you were trying to build a shark setup instead....

I don't think you want a fancy reel for cod fishing. Since you will do a lot of winding (particularly at 500', ouch) I suggest you consider a level wind, no more than 65# braid. You don't have to spend hundreds, a Penn GT 320 is real nice for this application. You might want something with a little faster retrieve, but its a trade off. If you are winching up cod from deep, the faster retrieve will make it a lot harder. On the other hand, if you're reeling up to check your bait or to move, the faster retrieve is worthwhile. If you could get a 2 speed reel that was like 6:1 and 3:1 that might be really good for cod, but I don't think this exists.

If you could get a 2 speed reel that was like 6:1 and 3:1 that might be really good for cod, but I don't think this exists.

??? there are quite a few. Accurate (bx's) and Daiwa (saltiga & saltist) both have two speeds with these ratios. They're probably over kill but they are out there. I'm sure that there are others.

Picked up a Penn Baja Special over the winter but haven't used it yet. Will be my deep cod reel. I like the ratio (4.25), the drag (27 lbs), the narrow spool, line capacity, price (about $225) but the weight is a negative (29 ounces). Built like a tank.