Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPChase

Penn Squall or Fathom?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, I had recently made up my mind to pick up a Squall 12 and/or 15 until I was perusing through the March fishing reports.  I noticed a couple of you guys have had experience with both reels and to my surprise felt that the fathom was the better surf casting reel.

Just from checking out the two reels' specs and product descriptions on the penn site, one would assume that the squall is the more capable surf casting reel with the mag control and all.  I realize that the fathom has a metal frame and has 10lbs more drag (15lbs seems more than adequate for drum, striper).  I am more interested in the casting properties of the two reels as I am sure both reels are tanks when it comes to fish fighting capability which is pretty synonymous with Penn.

So for those of you that have had the pleasure of experiencing both reels, would you mind elaborating on the differences you noticed in these two reels?

Thanks in advance!

I took Koss's recommendation and picked up a Fathom 15 on the BST a little while back.  I have used the Squall 15 for well over a year now and it was my favorite reel.  It fit my hand well and was my best distance casting reel.  With that said, I think the Fathom is a Squall on steroids.  Stronger drag which you can adjust,  much faster spool speed then the Squall (you have to tweak the Squall with bearings, oil, etc to get it close),, and a louder line-out alarm.  I prefer the 15 size for line capacity, just my preference though.

As far as the braking ability of the Fathom, I personally think the centrifugal brake is plenty good.  The Fathom allows several brake settings so you test and select what fits your casting requirement.  You can lay into it quite a bit and not get too much fluff.  Train your thumb though, always helps.  I pretty much have very little of my mags engaged on my squall.  Still love it though. 

Only other thing I prefer on the Fathom is that the screws to remove the side plate to adjust the brakes are much bigger then the Squall so its easier to remove.  If you maintain your own reels you'll appreciate this. Both reels do fit my hands exactly the same which is why I was so interested in the Fathom.

You won't be disappointed with either reel.  Just a few differences in my opinion.

Good luck to you

I need to catch up on equipment...never heard of the fathom...gonna check it out.

You won't be disappointed. I'll be out tomorrow so if you're around you're welcome to check it out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggfish View Post

anyluck on decision was wondering the same thing which one is better from surf

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing one or the other, but I'm still leaning towards a squall.  

Thanks for the feedback Mtd35.  I guess I really just need to throw the Fathom for myself to make a decision, however I just can't seem to get over the fact that you have to pull off the sideplate and remove the spool to make brake adjustments.  I'm one of those people that like to make reel adjustments according to the conditions and I could see some problems arise if I'm opening up the reel while its blowing 25 to 30.  

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing one or the other, but I'm still leaning towards a squall.  

Thanks for the feedback Mtd35.  I guess I really just need to throw the Fathom for myself to make a decision, however I just can't seem to get over the fact that you have to pull off the sideplate and remove the spool to make brake adjustments.  I'm one of those people that like to make reel adjustments according to the conditions and I could see some problems arise if I'm opening up the reel while its blowing 25 to 30.  

Minor adjustments can be made with the spool tensioner. There's no need to open a reel on the beach. I popped out 2 brake blocks and it was good to go. I'm guessing you've never used a reel with centrifugal brakes before?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOSS View Post

Minor adjustments can be made with the spool tensioner. There's no need to open a reel on the beach. I popped out 2 brake blocks and it was good to go. I'm guessing you've never used a reel with centrifugal brakes before?

I have used reels with centrifugal braking, I just prefer the convenience of on the fly adjustments that mag braking offers.

I think you'll be happy with both, you'll just have to tweek the Squall a bit more to get it to perform.  Just another side note on the Fathom, I was out there this past weekend in the 30+ NE winds tossing the Fathom on my Ballistic and never had the reel blow up on me.  Granted, the wind was not "directly" in my face and I was tossing 12nbait.  The Squall performed just as well.  Just couldn't hold bottom so I left.