Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stxhunter

Tsunami Airwave vs. Bass Pro Off Shore Angler

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

If your referring to Bass Pro Ocean Master series vs Tsunami Airwave, I'd go OM. the AW's are great rods for the $ but are better suited for plug fishing. I had a few OM's for bait . The big 12 footer 6-12oz throws from 5 and a chunk to 8 and a chunk exceptionally well. If you like Tsunami, their Trophy rods are better suited for bait slinging.

If you are thinking about the oceanmaster do not get the ten foot version for 4 or 5 oz.  I bought one a few years ago and the thing is stiff as a board. Cannot get any distance out of it unless i am throwing 8 &bait, and then I cannot get what I really want out of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfin View Post

If your referring to Bass Pro Ocean Master series vs Tsunami Airwave, I'd go OM. the AW's are great rods for the $ but are better suited for plug fishing. I had a few OM's for bait . The big 12 footer 6-12oz throws from 5 and a chunk to 8 and a chunk exceptionally well. If you like Tsunami, their Trophy rods are better suited for bait slinging.

Thanks, Redfin... I've been looking for a bait rod that can handle some heavy weight.  I love the Airwaves, but they don't handle bait like you said.  How are the OMs and the Trophy's with braided line?  Do you have any experience using them with say, 50# PP?

There is no problem with using braid on them. I use Tuff Line XP 65 or 80 on my OM conventional. As far as line weight, that's your choice. If your talking about slinging chunks, I would not go lighter than 50 in a power pro type line. That's for abrasion reasons. 30 fire Line original always was go good line for bait fishing. Incredibly strong and far tougher than 50 pp around rocks. Good luck.

My go to bait rod is a 10ft Trophy Series with 30 lb PP.  All be it I do not fish bait as much as in the past the rod never let me down and tossed weight & bait very nicely. 

Quote:

There is no problem with using braid on them. I use Tuff Line XP 65 or 80 on my OM conventional. As far as line weight, that's your choice. If your talking about slinging chunks, I would not go lighter than 50 in a power pro type line. That's for abrasion reasons. 30 fire Line original always was go good line for bait fishing. Incredibly strong and far tougher than 50 pp around rocks. Good luck.

50 PP has been my go-to line for a long time now... I guess I was so impressed that I never really tried much else, until recently.  After becoming more active on this site, I've branched out to 20 and 30 original Fire Line, I'm giving Sufix 832 a shot this year since I want to see how it's "rounder" profile works (apparently I've been watching too much George Poveromo over the winter), and I might give Samurai a chance if I ever can get a Daiwa Emblem Pro at a good price.

When you say abrasion reasons, are you talking about the line or the guides?  50 PP is the same size as 12 lb mono, but it's flatter... does that have an adverse effect on the guides?

50 PP has been my go-to line for a long time now... I guess I was so impressed that I never really tried much else, until recently.  After becoming more active on this site, I've branched out to 20 and 30 original Fire Line, I'm giving Sufix 832 a shot this year since I want to see how it's "rounder" profile works (apparently I've been watching too much George Poveromo over the winter), and I might give Samurai a chance if I ever can get a Daiwa Emblem Pro at a good price.

When you say abrasion reasons, are you talking about the line or the guides?  50 PP is the same size as 12 lb mono, but it's flatter... does that have an adverse effect on the guides?

Abrasion regarding structure is what I was referring to. Flatness of braid would not have any effective on your guide rings.

How easy is the power pro, or any braid for that matter, to cast with a conventional setup?  I have braid on all of my spinning setups but mono on my conventionals.  

Casting conventional with braid is not hard. I used a squidder and a sufmaster for years with braid and now use an ambassador 7000c3. Thicker lines (65, 80 in spectra braids and 30 fireline orig) would be most user friendly.

Quote:

Abrasion regarding structure is what I was referring to. Flatness of braid would not have any effective on your guide rings.

I was thinking about what I see braid do under pressure to unprotected skin... and I thought about what it could (over time and fishing pressure) do to some of the softer guides of yesteryear. 

Oh, STX, sorry for hijacking your thread... if I run into you out there, I'll hook you up with bait or a bucktail or something that's catching fish to hopefully even it out!  Thanks, guys!