Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manomet mark

New to fishing braid

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Do you still need to put done sort of heavier lead on the braid line mainly jigging in

Canal

Thanks

Can you re-phrase the question? Love Manomet by the way. We rented a place for my inlaws there for a week in August. I'll be taking advantage of it.

When I have jigged, I usually put on at least a 50lb floro leader 2 1/2 - 3 feet worth. Also if you are new to braid make sure you have on some sort of finger protector if you are using a spinning setup. A mechanix glove works great, Aquaskins also makes a really nice one.

I'm assuming by "lead" you mean "leader"?

When I'm jigging the canal I use 50lb braid ----> barrel swivel ----> approx 30" 40 lb. mono leader ----> jig  (sometimes I tie the mono to a breakaway clip for quicker weight/color changes).

You really should use a leader of some sort. Braid isn't all that abrasive resistant, and it'll slice you up when grabbing it to land a fish. A mono leader eliminates those problems.

I'm assuming by "lead" you mean "leader"?

When I'm jigging the canal I use 50lb braid ----> barrel swivel ----> approx 30" 40 lb. mono leader ----> jig  (sometimes I tie the mono to a breakaway clip for quicker weight/color changes).

You really should use a leader of some sort. Braid isn't all that abrasive resistant, and it'll slice you up when grabbing it to land a fish. A mono leader eliminates those problems.

Ahhh, yes, now I see. I was thinking "lead", as in weight.

I run pretty much the same setup ^, but I always use a Tactical Angler clip on the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanoverStriper View Post

Ahhh, yes, now I see. I was thinking "lead", as in weight.

I run pretty much the same setup ^, but I always use a Tactical Angler clip on the end.

If I'm fishing a spot where the bottom can be sticky, I'll tie direct. No sense adding another $1+ to the cost of each rig lost.  wink.gif

If I'm fishing a spot where the bottom can be sticky, I'll tie direct. No sense adding another $1+ to the cost of each rig lost.  ;)

Not a bad call

Yea I thought I needed something on the end any recommendations for

Pd test and maker

Thanks

I use 40# Big Game. No need to spend the extra $ on flouro. I try to keep my leader a little lighter than my braid. This way, the leader line will break first (it's usually at the knot anyway) and you won't lose a lot of braid.

I use 40# Big Game. No need to spend the extra $ on flouro. I try to keep my leader a little lighter than my braid. This way, the leader line will break first (it's usually at the knot anyway) and you won't lose a lot of braid.

Ditto.

When I used up all my 40# Big Game in 2010, I switched to 40# Jeros extra tough, shock resistant, mono leader. Comes in a 50 yard coiled container, about $3.50-$4.25. I'm happy with the product for leader material.

If I'm fishing a spot where the bottom can be sticky, I'll tie direct. No sense adding another $1+ to the cost of each rig lost.  ;)

I'd rather pay the extra money for the lost clip than take the time to retie every lure I use. I don't carry a lot of lures, but I do like to be ready to change from a sluggo to a plug or tin. I don't get to the canal that often these days, so time is money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonFrum View Post

I'd rather pay the extra money for the lost clip than take the time to retie every lure I use. I don't carry a lot of lures, but I do like to be ready to change from a sluggo to a plug or tin. I don't get to the canal that often these days, so time is money.

That's why you need the back of your cruiser to look like a peacock. 3 or 4 extra rods all rigged up with different lures will save you a bunch of time.  biggrin.gif