Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ngt707

Anyone have experience with pontoon stabilizers?

24 posts in this topic

New to Kayaks. Picked up a smaller (L:9'3", W:33 1/2) SOT kayak and I'm 6'2" 185. Guy I talked to said I need to worry about stability on a shorter kayak since I'm tall. I was looking at these pontoon stabilizers, or possibly making my own. With getting pulled or turned around by a larger fish, do you they get it the way? Line snags? Any other concerns I should have before investing my money or time? Anyone have any experience with these? Or do most people fishing larger fish by kayak just stay away from these?

thanks

Outriggers can save you a world of heart. They make kayaking a lot more fun. I'm 6'6" at 240 and yes the taller you are the more they come in handy. Don't listen to the purest out there that look down their noises at people that use them. They are not the ones paddling your kayak, and if it makes you more comfortable then by all means do it.

Yes they can get in the way and yes they help. Make sure they are mounted out of your paddle stroke

A pair I made that I do not use any more.

The parts

[img=

Assembly with 1/2" conduit for strength

Frontoutriggers.jpg

Yes they can get in the way and yes they help. Make sure they are mounted out of your paddle stroke

The parts

[img=

Frontoutriggers.jpg

Does the arm move due to the rod holder tightening limitations?

Have you had the kayak on the water yet? See how you feel in it, play it safe and take your time. I would not rush into any kind of rigging yet, give it 10 outings first.

They are like training wheels. Once you learn you take em off never to be seen again. Your kayak is almost 34 inches wide. That is ridiculously wide for a kayak that short. Get a paddling lesson first and take it out on a shallow lake for a few trips. Ive been doing demos for 20 years with begginers and have seen many guys pull themselves overboard with an incorect paddling stroke.

Yes, the arms are limited to the rod holder movements.

As the last two posters referenced I do not use these any more. I only made them as I was hunting from that boat and flat out laying down with my toes in the tip of the bow. I felt more comfortable getting up to kill ducks and geese in this position, with the outriggers deployed. For fishing or paddling I never used them and found them to be a nuisance and picked them up when paddling. They where in my paddle stroke and I thought they slowed me down just from drag too. Also paddling on the upper Potomac I am sure the rocks would make a mess of them. That little kayak felt real tippy for the first 10 minutes and then I was used to it. Once you learn to use your shoulders to shift your weight the outriggers are just in the way.

I have now upgraded to the Commander 120 for hunting and fishing the Upper Potomac and a prowler 15 for open water and the salt.

What small SOT did you get? I think most models are just as wide at 10' as they are at 12' and 14'. So side to side stability should be fairly the same. They get faster and more buoyant with length. Look at the Tarpons below. The longer models are actually more narrow as they get longer. I think you just need to take it out a time or two without fishing poles and get used to it. Then take your poles and fish a time or two, then rig your kayak from what you learned will help you. Don't drill any holes until you fished it a couple of times.

Tarpon 100 - 10' long - 30.5" wide - capacity 325

Tarpon 120 - 12' long - 12'-3" - 30" wide - Capacity 350

Tarpon 120 - 14' long - 12'-3" - 28" wide - Capacity 375

Get a paddling lesson first and take it out on a shallow lake for a few trips. Ive been doing demos for 20 years with begginers and have seen many guys pull themselves overboard with an incorect paddling stroke.

Do you have any paddling tips for us beginners? Thanks.

I'd guess youtube would have paddling tips.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll give it a try without them and see how it feels. Most likely make some down the road for standing and fishing. .  I have a Malibu mini X.I know it's not the best kayak, but for $300 with a seat and paddle, It was in my budget for a first kayak. I've got a shallow lake that's somewhat local I can try it in.  thanks again 

I'd guess youtube would have paddling tips.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll give it a try without them and see how it feels. Most likely make some down the road for standing and fishing. .  I have a Malibu mini X.I know it's not the best kayak, but for $300 with a seat and paddle, It was in my budget for a first kayak. I've got a shallow lake that's somewhat local I can try it in.  thanks again 

The first of the two links I posted has a lot of information on proper paddleing if you have time to read it. The second is just a bunch of helpful links.

I'll check them out tonight, thanks!  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip281 View Post

The first of the two links I posted has a lot of information on proper paddleing if you have time to read it. The second is just a bunch of helpful links.

I have a Hobie that i have no problems with except standing up and poling. During standing and with all the larger boats wake it is tough to stand and these would work.

The parts

[img=

Frontoutriggers.jpg

I like your design... I have been looking into making something for my canoe so that I can stand up and cast (as i find it more comfortable). So with the rod holders I could bend them up (out of the water) while padeling, and them put them down for standing and fishing.

Do you have any paddling tips for us beginners? Thanks.

Yes, Always push with the upper hand. Dont pull on the bottom hand. Keep you paddle shaft as vertical as possible. Finish with your fist out in front of your chest. The paddle should never move through the water. The paddle stays where you placed it and the kayak glides by it.Start out slow and develop a good stroke before you start trying to impress people with a strong powerfull stroke.When you can keep the kayak going in a staright line in a variety of conditions then start putting a little more power into it. Avoid high wind and currents until your are an intermediate. All the guys I saw pull themselves overboard were trying to paddle real hard and fast when they did it.