Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddyh

Ready for Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I got my line in the mail yesterday, a 9wt intermediate sink tip. I'm a little rusty with the big rod, big difference between a 9 and a 4, it's been 3 years since I was on the lakes for Steelies. I did a bit of back yard practice yesterday in the stiff wind and managed some 60ft casts ( and a little cursing too). I'm itching to hit the beach! Probably hit the inlet between the pier and the rocks this afternoon or tommorrow so I can actually see how I do. I got 9ft 12lb. tapered leaders and a couple of Clousers, although I've used my rod for Steelhead, the fles where no more than you'd use for trout, so we'll see how I do with a big heavy fly. I have more flies on the way, some decievers and a few rabbit strip flies to immitate a squid strip and eels. Hard to find flies local, so I'll have to check out the DE club boys here soon. Headed to PA over Easter to get my Trout on, then when I get back the following Mon. it should start getting good. As always, I look forward to seeing some guys out there and I'm always open to pointers!

Get some 2/0 Tabory Snake Fly's in white and in black. Tim used to sell them here on SOL (I don't know if he still does or not) ..... More than any other fly I have used in the salt this one has always proven itself effective. It breathes in the water by itself. Fish them in the seams and rips along the rocks. Use a shooting basket and corkers these will make it safer and simpler out there for you. Best of luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post

Get some 2/0 Tabory Snake Fly's in white and in black. Tim used to sell them here on SOL (I don't know if he still does or not) ..... More than any other fly I have used in the salt this one has always proven itself effective. It breathes in the water by itself. Fish them in the seams and rips along the rocks. Use a shooting basket and corkers these will make it safer and simpler out there for you. Best of luck!

Thank you. I was wondering about a stripping basket and I'll look into the flies, good to hear someones go to's!!

Buddy, one other thing ( and I know it's not what a new saltwater fly angler wants to hear) your odds of hooking up with a fish are 100 time's greater fishing at night than during the day. So make sure before you do this that you are reasonably comfortable casting and line handling before you go out there. It is a very productive location BUT it can be a very dangerous one as well. Quite a few over the years it was their last fishing trip. ALWAY's error on the side of caution .... If you have a fear or a doubt about something out there don't do it and fish with a buddy if it is possible.

The rewards out there can be great but don't underestimate the risks either. Some (me) wear inflateable life jackets out there as another form of personal safety equipment.

buddyh…up front I will tell you I am not a fly fisherman, although I have tried it from time to time in the surf.

Surf fishing w/ a lure, whether it’s a fly, jig, rubber, wood, plastic, whatever, on this coast is at best mediocre…and many times for most fishers less than mediocre.

In a very generalized observation there are more fish (Striped Bass) at or near the inlets at times, but the fish are rarely over 15# w/ many under 28”. Unfortunately, the inlets, 1 in particular, can barely be managed crowd-wise and can be outright a circus at certain times… A fly guy, when the fishing is hot at these locals, is going to be persona non grata…trust me, you will be very frustrated w/ the “googanism” going on…

The open beaches (away from the inlets) of this coast present a whole different story…solitude for sure in most places, especially at night… Lure fishing there is both very challenging and very rewarding…and perhaps even more rewarding for a fly fisherman… It’s where the real trophy size Bass frequent it seems and personally speaking there is just about nothing more rewarding than to catch a trophy size Striper on a lure on an open beach of the DelMarVa coast ;):D

Poppy

To Jim and Tarpon1, thanks and my hopes are still high. I generally will be using a 9' leader, I have shorter 7 footers for the bays and calmer water. My Clousers are beaded and heavy, so they should get down with a good cast up the rip and let it drift down. I just got an Orvis Trident 9 footer at the Outlet (better half looks at me sideways, but what a deal!) and I tried it on the grass, this time I got the whole 120' out. I'm itching to try it in the water and I'm comfortable in a decent wind, but I went down this morning and the water was spraying over the bulkhead, so here I sit fidgeting again. The guy from Ake (sorry, I'm terrible at names) gave me some pointers and suggested going near the rocks at the end of the parking lot, but I am looking forward to some lonely stertches of beach. In one of my other posts, I mentioned the north end of AI, not sure I want to canoe across at night though. My bigget hurdle will be learning to read the water, I've been studying the post here on that subject, I just need to practice, I sure hope the wind dies down soon!!!bigeyes.gif

Buddy////// wind will nearly always be a factor in shore based saltwater fly fishing and the hard part to face is it is at it's best usually with the hardest onshore blows. To have any degree of success out there ( and I agree with everything Poppy posted and then some that is why I don't fly fish Mid Atlantic areas for Stripers any more .... I can burn $60-$100 in much better ways than gas and food going back and forth from the beach and casting endless hours into its typically empty waters along the DE coast) you must learn to cast effectively in the wind. 120' with a fly is not a effective fishing distance and you would be very hard pressed to feel the strike at those distances in the surf (just too much currents and wave actions to keep the slack out of your line). Most of my fish were caught 60' and under from my position ( I have fished two hand fly rods since the early 90's and distance or line speed never has been an issue but I usually only cast 80' and under and have confidence that I can feel the fly at these distances). Creating high line speeds is your friend when fishing out front and is what you should strive for in your casting practice sessions ( and tight loops): distance over 80' is way down the list of priorities to strive for. Along the beach most of the time the fish are at your feet if they are there and actively feeding at night. Your going to find that you'll need very tight loops and very fast line speeds cast just above the water and under the heaviest winds to get your offering out to fishing distances.

Buddy if I were you I would ask Tarpon when his clubs next meeting is and go to it. I have met Tarpon and several of the clubs members and I am sure they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction so you will be successful down there. I was a member the first year of the club but working second shift I could not make the meetings or the events so I never renewed(I really am not a club minded person anyway but that is just me). Clubs can be a very valuable asset and a source of fishing friends.

All we can do in a thread like this is hit a few of the high spots to this activity and I felt compelled to stress the safety side of this when you were talking about fly fishing the inlet .... a club can help you work through all the in's and out's of the sport and make your experience as enjoyable and safe as possible. NO FISH IS WORTH A HUMAN LIFE

Thanks again Jim, 120' is just to show myself I can do it. I can cast comfy out 50+ with ease and that's my zone. I'm used to the wind, almost as much as here, the Great Lakes will test you. i know there are fish out there, I've caught them on the spin gear. My take on it is this, if you can catch it on bait or a lure, I can catch it (with some limitations on a fly). I agree, it's a fruatrating lot of roaming the beach for any fisherman, but I think I can learn to read this tough water. Hey, if not, I'll just head down the street to the pond or the Pokomoke, I'm already on the Crappies and Largemouth!!

Buddy..... I find the Jersey shoreline much more consistently productive than ours and it takes about the same amount of gas and time for me to go to either area....... odds on favorite for me is the NJ trip 999 times to 1. There ARE times the fish will be along the beaches in DE but that is during peak migration periods which in recent years ads up to maybe 5 weeks a year and most of those weeks are in the spring. Jersey's structure along its coast has been much more consistent for me all in all and seems to hold more fish over a longer time period than here. Both locations are way down in numbers the past 4 years but I feel I have better odds of hooking up in Jersey ............. now RI, MA, and ME are my far and away favorites throughout the summer but the average week up there including travel expenses, lodging, and food is easily $1500 or more per week and that is getting close to a FL trip for Tarpon in cost and tarpon own my soul. ;) I don't do many trips to any of these locations in this economy and being retired, unfortunately. The fall in 2008 took 48% of my retirement savings away in less than a couple weeks.... I am just now getting back to even 4 years later. Been a long slow road........ and I value a dollar much more now because of this and tend to watch how I spend much more closely. I have to get a bang for every buck spent or I don't do it.

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the Delmarva fishing scene, but am thankful to see a discussion on fly fishing in this area.  It seems anyone that I ask in the OC/Fenwick Island area about fly fishing looks at me sideways.  Maybe I'm asking the wrong people?!  I am from northeastern Massachusetts and have spent the better part of my life chasing stripers with a fly rod, not a surf rod.  We now have a house in north OC and my goal this year is to throw a fly and just see what happens.  I'll stay tuned to this forum and share anything helpful I may learn.

I'm new myself, I moved here from PA last year. What started as an idea snowballed into a full fledged desire to catch at least something out of the salt with a fly. I don't consider myself a purist, I'm happy with a spinning rod, but I've been fly fishing as well for 35 years for trout, smallmouth, steelies, panfish, you name it, except for salt water species. What started out as changing the line on my steelhead rig turned into a new rod, a bunch of flies on the way and a stripping baket also. I've heard words of encouragement and discouragement and I'll say it one more time, if you can catch it on bait or lure, I'll bet I can figure out a way to catch it on a fly. Guys, especially in DE use flies on their spin gaer with three way rigs with sinkers, so that alone gives me hope. I've also been talking to Tarpon1 who happens to be a member of the Salt Water Anglers of DE, and am planning to pay them a visit on Apr. 11 at their metting in Lewes. Their site is SFAOD.com. Keep coming back to Stripers online, I've been talking to alot of nice guys and the owner of Ake Marine is also a fly guy who I talked to that's actually a friend of Lefty. I'm learning alot here and hope to see ya on the water. Tight Lines!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Grls View Post

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the Delmarva fishing scene, but am thankful to see a discussion on fly fishing in this area.  It seems anyone that I ask in the OC/Fenwick Island area about fly fishing looks at me sideways.  Maybe I'm asking the wrong people?!  I am from northeastern Massachusetts and have spent the better part of my life chasing stripers with a fly rod, not a surf rod.  We now have a house in north OC and my goal this year is to throw a fly and just see what happens.  I'll stay tuned to this forum and share anything helpful I may learn.

Hey Buddy

One of the keys to being sucessful fly fishing the Delmarva area is paying attention to the forums and fishing reports. Blind casting the surf can be very good at times but only for a few weeks in the spring and fall. Alot of people get to hung up on chasing stripers and around here is is not a good bet except for a few weeks in spring and fall. I target flounder, croakers and blues way more than stripers. Most of my fishing is done from a 16' skiff and i try to fish some kind of structure versus open and usually empty bottoms. If you have a yak or a canoe there is some pretty good spots in the Cape Henlopen area, there are several rock jetties and piers that hold fish most of the spring summer and the fall. The croaker fishing later in the summer can be awesomes and they readily take a fly and fight like hell for there size. If you stay on top of the reports learn what happens where and when and go after whats biting you will catch way more fish. I guess what i am trying to say is dont get hung up on striper fishing unless they are here and biting. There are also lots of small boat and yak fishing waters on the Chesapeake too. I have to agree with Jimde that fishing in the surf in Jersey is usually better than the delmarva coast. The thing i dont like about Jersey is the crowds compared to Delmarva. Stick with it pay attention to what, where, and when and you will get better every season.

Good Luck

JimW

Thanks! Blues and Croakers and Flounders is fine with me! and my canoe is waiting to get wet. A rock would be icing on the cake though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oysterbreath View Post

Hey Buddy

One of the keys to being sucessful fly fishing the Delmarva area is paying attention to the forums and fishing reports. Blind casting the surf can be very good at times but only for a few weeks in the spring and fall. Alot of people get to hung up on chasing stripers and around here is is not a good bet except for a few weeks in spring and fall. I target flounder, croakers and blues way more than stripers. Most of my fishing is done from a 16' skiff and i try to fish some kind of structure versus open and usually empty bottoms. If you have a yak or a canoe there is some pretty good spots in the Cape Henlopen area, there are several rock jetties and piers that hold fish most of the spring summer and the fall. The croaker fishing later in the summer can be awesomes and they readily take a fly and fight like hell for there size. If you stay on top of the reports learn what happens where and when and go after whats biting you will catch way more fish. I guess what i am trying to say is dont get hung up on striper fishing unless they are here and biting. There are also lots of small boat and yak fishing waters on the Chesapeake too. I have to agree with Jimde that fishing in the surf in Jersey is usually better than the delmarva coast. The thing i dont like about Jersey is the crowds compared to Delmarva. Stick with it pay attention to what, where, and when and you will get better every season.

Good Luck

JimW

.........Good thread. Thanks guys. I have a 9wt GLoomis set-up with some kind of South American reel on it that was bequeathed to me by a friend about ten years ago. Have not used it yet......don't know the first thing about fly fishing. With the luck that I've been having fishing plugs and bait in the Delmarva surf in recent years, maybe I should give FF a try. I'll keep listening.