Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Mac

NGC with K's - last reduction guide transition to choke?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Ok guys i am almost ready to test after buying 3 extra K's to figure out the right transition for my 11' spinner. After a few hours of taping and changing sizes I finally figured out the perfect straight line bottom edge / perfect bulleseye lineup.

It goes 30K-25K-20K to 10K as a choke. Like i said this lines up perfectly with the 30K 27" from my spool face and the 10K choke is 62" from the spool face.

Do you think the last 20K reduction guide to 10K choke is too much of a transition in size?

Curious to see if anyone else used this transition.

Thanks,

T

I just lined up a reduction train with KW's, 30L, 20, 12, 8 and to tell the truth a 10 would have been a better fit than the 12 for the last guide before the choke. However, if you are using a 30H (J) your angles to the choke might be different than mine, so you will just have to try things out. I suggest buying both the 10 and 12 and then see which works best for your lineup.

Sorry, i needed to be a little more clear with that :o

I was saying that the outside edge of the rings i used follow the straight line from the spool shaft to where it intesects the blank.

Additionally when looking down the blank the guide rings do have a perfect bulleseye pattern to the choke.

I was just worried about the 20K ring transition to 10K as i was hoping a 30-20-16 or 12 would work but it lines up bad.

Try to think less about "bad" line up and more about where the guide would be positioned on that "bullseye line" from the stripper to the choke point. Select a guide that falls onto the line in a well spaced position and it should have a ring size that works well in the reduction train. You should be fine with a 20 down to a 10 in most cases. You didn mention this was an NGC build, NGC works with the top edge of the frame. If you've been working with the bottom edge the change will move your entire reduction train closer to the reel when you tape-n-test using the top edge. Might be more trouble than it's worth at this point since you have a nice smooth reduction already. Just FYI.

Moving choke points closer, when done properly, can result in the use of smaller rings in a reduction train. It lightens the rod which has a number of benefits.

10-4 Jo, thanks.

Yes this is NGC. I will move the choke down later tonight when i get home and see if i can start with a 25k verses the 30K. Hopefuly this will move the stripper guide out a little futher out as i dont like tmy stripper at 27" from the face.

T

Ok guys i am almost ready to test after buying 3 extra K's to figure out the right transition for my 11' spinner. After a few hours of taping and changing sizes I finally figured out the perfect straight line bottom edge / perfect bulleseye lineup.

It goes 30K-25K-20K to 10K as a choke. Like i said this lines up perfectly with the 30K 27" from my spool face and the 10K choke is 62" from the spool face.

Do you think the last 20K reduction guide to 10K choke is too much of a transition in size?

Curious to see if anyone else used this transition.

Thanks,

T

Terry I use the same layout quite often with no issues. I also use the same layout with 12's instead of 10's. Works like a charm ...