getting a boating license

Rate this topic

bac0701

just curious, i have my uncle's small boat on the side of my house and he's in texas. if he lets me use it i'm getting a license. what do i have to do to get one.. is it just a course then you take a test ? who should i go through? about how much does it cost.

It is just an 8 hr class and a test at the end. Do a search for NJ boat licence there a lots of places. you can even do on online class and show up at the testing place for the written exam for about 40 dollars. I think they all use the same state textbook so I think they are all about the same find the closest one to you

Yes Lou, in NJ, saltwater you just need safety certificate. You get this by taking the 8 hour class. I don't think you can take the class online anymore, but i could be wrong. To boat on FW you need a boating LICENSE. All that is a $6 charge at the DMV, that's added to your drivers license. To get the designation on your drivers license, you must have the safety certificate.

PS, be careful waiting any longer, this time of year the courses fill up pretty quick.

Bac,

There's a Marine supply store on Chamersbridge Rd right in your neighborhood where I got my safety certificate 5 yrs ago.  It was a quick 2 night class with a test at the conclusion.  The topics were thoroughly covered making the test relatively easy.  My instructor said he never had anybody fail his class.  Give a call & see if they still offer.

Do not hit the water without it as I see many boats each year boarded at random in the Manasquan as they were heading for the inlet. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

Bac,

There's a Marine supply store on Chamersbridge Rd right in your neighborhood where I got my safety certificate 5 yrs ago.  It was a quick 2 night class with a test at the conclusion.  The topics were thoroughly covered making the test relatively easy.  My instructor said he never had anybody fail his class.  Give a call & see if they still offer.

Do not hit the water without it as I see many boats each year boarded at random in the Manasquan as they were heading for the inlet. 

I just took it two weeks ago - at the West marine there in Brick

Teacher is the retired head of the NJ State Police marine division - you leave having a damned good idea of what the marine police are watching for, which is good info to have. And no one fails. You have to be pretty dim not to do well on this test.

Speaking for everyone else out on the water, if you do fail we'd prefer you never ever get behind the wheel of a boat (or a car for that matter)

Also the least expensive, $60 but you get a West marine gift certificate for $20

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

My instructor said he never had anybody fail his class. 

I took it a few years ago at a school in Point Pleasant. It was a one day course and was run by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I forget the cost. No one in this class failed either because, as a review of all the subject matter, they went through a bunch of "practice" questions. Those practice questions were the test questions, word for word.

Even without the 'review", no one should fail this test. if you have spent any time on the water, the test is relatively simple.

I ate one anchovy, and that is why I did not eat two anchovies.

Anybody know how many years it is good for? I took it when it was first required for PW, so that was about 14 years ago, give or take. I know I don't have the card, but can I get it re-issued?Just in case i hit the Mega tomorrow night? ;)

Think it's a forever license. I'd contact the folks where you took the course for the replacement.