Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

So Long Bert Sugar

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I don't know much about Bert Sugar, but when I saw him on TV I always liked him.

The New York Times

Bert Sugar, Boxing Writer and Commentator, Is Dead at 75

By BRUCE WEBER

Published: March 26, 2012

Bert Sugar, boxing’s human encyclopedia, a prolific writer and editor and a flamboyant and ubiquitous presence in the world of the ring, died on Sunday in Mount Kisco, N.Y. He was 75.

Bert Sugar was the author of dozens of books; the editor, at various times, of The Ring magazine and Boxing Illustrated; and a television and radio commentator.

He had lung cancer and died of cardiac arrest at Northern Westchester Hospital, his daughter, Jennifer Frawley, said.

The author or editor of dozens of books; the editor, at various times, of The Ring magazine and Boxing Illustrated; and a television and radio commentator who rarely turned away from a microphone, Mr. Sugar was as voluminous a speaker as he was a writer.

Garrulous, opinionated, an eager conversationalist who was known to talk with just about anybody, he was an accomplished raconteur with a bottomless sack of anecdotes and an incorrigible penchant for wisecracks and bad jokes. You could pick him out in a crowded room by his voice — a distinctively upbeat growl — or by the omnipresent wide-brimmed fedora on his head and the fat cigar in his mouth.

he seemed annoying to me. that said, he knew his stuff, nobody could question that....think he is the only non-boxer/trainer in the hall of fame..

he seemed annoying to me. that said, he knew his stuff, nobody could question that....think he is the only non-boxer/trainer in the hall of fame..

Ruby Goldstein got in there as a ref, not on an undistinguished boxing career. He was regarded as the best ref of his day, until he was the third man in the ring when Emile Griffith killed Benny Paret. Goldstein was criticized because he appeared to freeze up while Paret was tangled in the ropes and Griffith poured it on. He never reffed another fight afterwards.

I would think that someone like Arthur Mercante's in there, too?

Just checked---he is, and there's nothing about him ever boxing professionally. Started out as a ref in 1954. Interestingly---when he served in the Navy in WW 2 his commanding officer was none other than Gene Tunney.