troutbum246

Kayak for fishing on the Susquehanna

10 posts in this topic

Are you looking to just fish the river? You gonna hit the Flats as well? Do you plan on short jaunts out to a couple of the islands in the river?

There are so many boats that could be recommended, but a little more info would help. There is a lot of current to deal with on the river, a wider more stable boat is going to be a tougher paddle against stronger currents, of which I'm sure you're very aware can become wicked if the dam gates are opened.

As far as dealers, Autumn Sky Outfitters in Street carries Wilderness System yaks. Starrkmoon in Delta PA carries Perception and other brands.

If you're looking for Hobie, you'll have to cross the river and drive to Chesapeake City and stop in at Chessie Marine..That's about all you'll find for kayaks nearby.

I'm mostly looking at fishing the river in a quiet environment when the dam is running only a few units.  I'll make a point to stop by Autumn Sky first since I live only about 10-15 miles from the shop.  Many thanks for your response.

The currents can be rather strong there. I wouldn't do it with a paddle kayak. Been there a few times on my Outback in the spring. Now in the summer months it might get shallow. Im not sure.

Edited by barrell

Susquehanna is a very big river so I don't know where you are talking about but as long as you watch the stream gauges there isn't any reason you cannot fish it using a kayak paddle. There are several kayak fishing guides that work the river on a regular basis. I would recommend wearing a flotation device because on any free flowing river you should be careful.

I fish below conowingo, the river down to the flats, and the flats themselves.  My buddy and I both fish out of Tarpon 120's, although mine is fitted with a trolling motor.  Plenty of kayaks will get the job done.  In the summer water can get very skinny and a Hobie or yak with a trolling motor might be an issue around the rocks.  

I like having a trolling motor when fishing the flats bc I do some long trips and troll most of the time.  

With that being said you must watch the water releases out of conowingo.  there are many days that fishing from a kayak is not a good idea on the river due to the volume and flow.  You really have to pick your days.  

Edited by justinfisch01