Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soundfisher

Moving to NH

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Getting the hell out of Dodge (Connecticut) and looking for a slower environment. I've spent a lot of time in NH (skiing, fishing, visiting friends), but would like to get your thoughts on the Amherst/Milford area. Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Suburbia big time over that way but the west sides of both towns are less populated and closer to a little space and wildness - not wilderness.  The Souhegan river flows through both towns and is well stocked, there are some state owned acres along the Souhegan in Milford where they used to stock pheasants in the fall - I think they still do.  In Milford you're not far from one of the most climbed, but also most scenic, mountians in the world - Mount Monadnock.  Down Route 31, I like somewhat overlooked Greenville which is funkier and less built up than next door Milford, and it too lies along the Souhegan.  Sporadic but legit hatches occur in this stretch from April to June.

Getting the hell out of Dodge (Connecticut) and looking for a slower environment. I've spent a lot of time in NH (skiing, fishing, visiting friends), but would like to get your thoughts on the Amherst/Milford area. Thoughts? Pros/cons?

I live in merrimack that borders both of these towns, amherst has high taxes so look out, milford has it's good parts and dumpy parts, fishing isn't to bad but it's all stocked stuff, if you do move near me drop me a pm if you need anything, good luck, lots of houses on the market,

I live close to Milford over near Hillsborough. Long ride to the coast but if your looking for a slower pace of living you will definitely find it there.

Good hunting and freshwater fishing is nearby. Send me a PM if you move up this way and I'll take you out on the boat.

Dave

To reiterate some of the other sentiments... Amherst/Milford is a tough ride to the coast, no interstate highway unless you first go 20 minutes in the other direction. 

As far as being 'dumpy' not sure where you come from in CT but the worst parts of NH (primarily around the downtowns of Manchester and Nashua) are much safer than a standard CT city of 100k in size ala New Britain or Waterbury.  

Not sure what your work requirements are, but based on what you had told us, Rochester may seem like a good bet, its a bit over 20 minutes from the shore and about an hour from the mountains for skiing. The drawback is if you require an urban area for work then Rochester is off the beaten path. 

To reiterate some of the other sentiments... Amherst/Milford is a tough ride to the coast, no interstate highway unless you first go 20 minutes in the other direction. 

As far as being 'dumpy' not sure where you come from in CT but the worst parts of NH (primarily around the downtowns of Manchester and Nashua) are much safer than a standard CT city of 100k in size ala New Britain or Waterbury.  

Not sure what your work requirements are, but based on what you had told us, Rochester may seem like a good bet, its a bit over 20 minutes from the shore and about an hour from the mountains for skiing. The drawback is if you require an urban area for work then Rochester is off the beaten path. 

I live in Rochester and work in Portsmouth, it's an easy shot down the Spaulding Turnpike. Dover's a good bet too.

Thanks guys.

I am well aware of some of those high property taxes in NH, but as compared to CT, it's a wash. One of the nice things about the potential move is that my work will allow me to work out of my home, which would avoid the incredibly high state income taxes that are ripped from me by CT. That alone is a pretty big savings, not to mention being able to write off A LOT of stuff for working out of my home.

We are also looking in the Londonderry and Windham areas as well (which would be slightly closer to coast), but ultimately, my main goal is find a slower pace of life, interact with civil human beings, save a few bucks, and most importantly, ensure my kids are going to good schools.

As for dumpy areas, as nice as CT is aesthetically, there are as many, if not more dumpy places here as compared to NH. In my mind, almost every town has an area you'd choose not to live in or near.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'll be hopping in here and will keep you guys posted.

Best,

SF

Do keep us posted. I think you'd enjoy NH both londonderry and Windham are great towns... also FYI anywhere in Southern NH east of Nashua is Massachusetts-lite and the I-93 corridor is booming so these quaint little towns may grow up pretty quick on you! I-93 is being expanded from two to four lanes all the way from Manchester to the Mass border. 

Schools in NH can change on a minutes notice as the school system has been the focus of budget shortfalls and deficits for at least 20 years and the state residents are trying hard to fight against bringing in state income taxes et al. I personally think if children have educational environments at home, it doesn't matter which schools they go to. 

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. My one concern about Londonderry/Windham was the emergence of a Mass-Lite environment. I grew up in Mass, so I also know what that's like. :)

And it would certainly suck if I moved up there and a state income tax was put in place...but I can't control "what if" scenarios.

I'll be back up there on Sunday with the wife and boys and will be spending a little more time in the aforementioned towns, checking out neighborhoods, options, etc.

SF

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. My one concern about Londonderry/Windham was the emergence of a Mass-Lite environment. I grew up in Mass, so I also know what that's like. :)

And it would certainly suck if I moved up there and a state income tax was put in place...but I can't control "what if" scenarios.

I'll be back up there on Sunday with the wife and boys and will be spending a little more time in the aforementioned towns, checking out neighborhoods, options, etc.

SF

You should checkout the seacoast area of NH and southern Me....hell you would be one hours drive to fenway park- no kidding.

You should checkout the seacoast area of NH and southern Me....hell you would be one hours drive to fenway park- no kidding.

Good advice. Just don't move to Portland!

The NH Seacoast is a bit spendy and probably more Mass-Lite than the other areas. Nice place just a bit more money. Southern Maine is out. It's busy in teh summer and a ghost town in winter.

Portland is nice if you like that type of life.

I lived in So. NH for 20 years loved every minute of it.

Thanks guys.

I am well aware of some of those high property taxes in NH, but as compared to CT, it's a wash. One of the nice things about the potential move is that my work will allow me to work out of my home, which would avoid the incredibly high state income taxes that are ripped from me by CT. That alone is a pretty big savings, not to mention being able to write off A LOT of stuff for working out of my home.

We are also looking in the Londonderry and Windham areas as well (which would be slightly closer to coast), but ultimately, my main goal is find a slower pace of life, interact with civil human beings, save a few bucks, and most importantly, ensure my kids are going to good schools.

As for dumpy areas, as nice as CT is aesthetically, there are as many, if not more dumpy places here as compared to NH. In my mind, almost every town has an area you'd choose not to live in or near.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'll be hopping in here and will keep you guys posted.

Best,

SF

You need to check out Hancock Nelson Harrisville areas.... if you can work from home this area has many nice lakes some very nice and good dynamics

& schools.... Bean online will show many homes for sale... you input towns

Best wishes and good luck,

Mike

Thanks again guys.

I'm honing in on NH as the income tax savings will help tremendously.

Jesus....I've been researching for 3 weeks (almost non-stop) and I'm still just scratching the surface.

:)

You need to check out Hancock Nelson Harrisville areas.... if you can work from home this area has many nice lakes some very nice and good dynamics

& schools.... Bean online will show many homes for sale... you input towns

Best wishes and good luck,

Mike

Right in my backyard :)