Leader construction; Braided butt ?

Rate this topic

tommycod

can u advise me? i saw a Lefty K article about building leaders and he said, w an 8 weight , i should use a 50 lb mono butt section that is supple.

There is a 50 lb clear mono braid RUNNING LINE by CORTLAND that is very supple and I propose to use a 4-5 ft looped -ended, section for my leader butt.

Its costing $25 for 100 ft spool- am i wasting my money and effort ?:confused: That 50 lb braided mono looks like it will work like a furled leader. I would think the 30 lb clear braid would b a great leader butt for trout rods of 4-6 weight. I have the most respect for Lefty and his advice. Please advise if u have tried something like this. Thanx.:D

Still chasin' tail

50lb braid and 50lb mono will behave totally different, plus, the braid will pick up a ton of water and then spray it out in the path of your cast, not so good for a trout leader. Braid has it's uses, but not as leader butts, do what Lefty recommends and you'll have a leader that turns over really well and is super cheap to build, I use Berkeley Big Game mono from the big spools in the tackle store.

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonC View Post

50lb braid and 50lb mono will behave totally different, plus, the braid will pick up a ton of water and then spray it out in the path of your cast, not so good for a trout leader. Braid has it's uses, but not as leader butts, do what Lefty recommends and you'll have a leader that turns over really well and is super cheap to build, I use Berkeley Big Game mono from the big spools in the tackle store.

JC

2nd that.

50 lb braid is very limp and flexible...not good for leader butts.

I use Berkley BG for my leaders too.