Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranger

Where to start?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking to get into plug building...where do I start?

What lathe? Is there a such thing as a cheap lathe (sub 200) with a duplicator? What type of chisels will I need?

Where do I get through wires? Lips?

Cheap and decent airbrush?

I know this is a lot of questions, I'm totally new to this. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Start slow. There are inexpensive lathes, try ebay, PSI, used is fine. Start with rattle cans for paint,no need to run off and buy an airbrush. Simple is good, use the search function here for any and all questions until you get down to specifics. Try google "plug building supplies" you'll be amazed at how much stuff comes up.

I would suggest by starting with these two threads:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/578726/new-builder-help-thread

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/448907/lure-building-safety-issues

That will provide some background for you. As suggested by others, pick up a few kits and give them a shot. That will give you some idea of what is involved in building a plug and you'll have something that you can fish afterwards. If you still have an interest after putting a few of those together, might be time to jump on in. What tools you need will depend some on what types of plugs you are interesting in building. A duplicator is not needed until you have done this for a while and having something worth making a bunch of copies of. Some would even argue that a dup is not needed at all. Lathe tools (after you pick up a respirator and face shield): a skew and gouge are all I use. 1 inch or 3/4 inch are fine. Paint, you can start with rattle cans (rustoleum worked for me) and pick up an airbrush later, if ever.

Jigman

My suggestion is to SLOW DOWN! ;)

Plug building looks real cool and many of us have made the mistake of jumping in with both feet and going crazy. Like anything getting educated in the what, when, why, and where of plug building will make your transformation into a good builder much easier.

You asked some great questions which have been answered many times in here. That is where the search button will become your friend. Start with the basic questions in your head, type it into the search engine and start learning the basic's. As you read these early post you will find other questions to ask and again use the search feature. If you run into some snags in your searching come back and ask us specific questions. Make sure you state you already used the search engine in your quest for information and I am sure guys will give you some good advice.

Jumping in and just buying tools will lead you to over spending or underspending on tools that you will later find out don't do the job well.

There are thousands of ways to build plugs and when someone just throws you a name of something you'll never get the idea on using your own thoughts on what fits your building process.

Thanks winch and jigman, this is something I definetly want to do. I have an idea of where I want to start, already have templates and stuff drawn up. Just need to pick up a lathe locally, I'm sure there will be many more questions along the way, thanks for getting me off in the right direction

Here's my recommended list: Might as well jump in with both feet like some of us!

Chop Saw -- $150

Band Saw -- $300

Dust Collector - $300

Lathe - $400

Chisels - $150

Drill Press - $250

Sander $ 100

Drill bits (kutz ball etc.) - $100

Vise - $50

Grinder - $100

Sharpening system - $150

Duplicator $250

Air Brush $100

Compressor $100

Paint - $100

Spinner - $100

Sub total = 2700

Tax = $194

Sub total = $2,894

Average cost of first 100 plugs = $28.94 + wood, weight, hooks, tails, lips, etex, rubber gloves, wire, acid brushes, labor etc.

Note, these are just sub totals ... :D:shock:;)

Welcome to the insanity!!!!

Which rock in RI do you live on? There are many friendly plug makers all over the state who can give you a demo of what you need to start with. :D

Here's my recommended list: Might as well jump in with both feet like some of us!

Chop Saw -- $150

Band Saw -- $300

Dust Collector - $300

Lathe - $400

Chisels - $150

Drill Press - $250

Sander $ 100

Drill bits (kutz ball etc.) - $100

Vise - $50

Grinder - $100

Sharpening system - $150

Duplicator $250

Air Brush $100

Compressor $100

Paint - $100

Spinner - $100

Sub total = 2700

Tax = $194

Sub total = $2,894

Average cost of first 100 plugs = $28.94 + wood, weight, hooks, tails, lips, etex, rubber gloves, wire, acid brushes, labor etc.

Note, these are just sub totals ... :D:shock:;)

Welcome to the insanity!!!!

I figured it would be more, this is but a dent compared to fishing gear...haha

Which rock in RI do you live on? There are many friendly plug makers all over the state who can give you a demo of what you need to start with. :D

The one off the beach, you can't miss it. I live in ct but go to school in RI, always around SOCO and kingston.

The one off the beach, you can't miss it. I live in ct but go to school in RI, always around SOCO and kingston.

Since I live in chucktown give me a PM sometime and I will show you the shop. :D