Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

SOl Members with Coast Guard Experience?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

My little girl wants to join the USCG. She turns 18 in June, but would have to wait until after the fall college semester to join due to her circumstances. I thought this was a passing thing, but she's stayed on it for a long time now and we're starting to look at it seriously together. It scares the hell out of me to see her go into branch of the military, but I'm proud of her and will support her decision.

Anyone here serve in the CG? Parents of anyone who has? I'd appreciate any experiences, + or -, that you'd care to share. We were hoping she'd go to college first, but she's determined.

I miss the days when she was a little girl who wanted to be a vet or librarian. :( Libraries are a lot safer than interdiction patrols.

The Coast Guard has a program at the Academy in New London which has prospective high school applicants spend a week at the Academy to get a sense of what it is like to go there. Is she interested in attending the Academy, or just enlisting? Either way, a call to the Academy in New London might be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by passiton View Post

My little girl wants to join the USCG. She turns 18 in June, but would have to wait until after the fall college semester to join due to her circumstances. I thought this was a passing thing, but she's stayed on it for a long time now and we're starting to look at it seriously together. It scares the hell out of me to see her go into branch of the military, but I'm proud of her and will support her decision.

Anyone here serve in the CG? Parents of anyone who has? I'd appreciate any experiences, + or -, that you'd care to share. We were hoping she'd go to college first, but she's determined.

I miss the days when she was a little girl who wanted to be a vet or librarian. frown.gif Libraries are a lot safer than interdiction patrols.

If she wants to go in, I would HIGHLY recommend she  goes in as an officer, which either means the Academy or college,  then OCS, Officer Candidate School. The officers are management, enlisted are the workers. As an officer, the pay is a whole lot better, and she won't spend 3 years scraping paint, waiting to get into an "A" school, which is where you are taught about your rate, or job description.

Like anything else, for the most part, you get out of it what you put into it. If you have a sucky attitude, your time will suck. Unless of course, is she gets put on a buoy tender, then it will just suck. biggrin.gif

If she's in reasonable shape, can swim and can read, she'll be just fine, but basic training is a lot about attitude. It's a game, they'll mess with you, just keep your eye on the prize and don't let them smoke you. Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and get it done. I had a lot of fun, because I found the classes really easy, and the fitness requirements were a lot less than the swim team and lacrosse teams I were on a half year prior required of me.

In my experience, and in talking with new CG types, it's still the same, what happens is after bootcamp, she'll go from there to her new unit as an E-2 (second lowest rank for enlisteds) and then can sign up to get into A-school. Each school has a different wait time. The medical enlisted program had about a 4-5 year wait to go to school, a really long time to wait as an e2- or e-3 scraping paint or other such crap.

I really am grateful for my experience int eh USCG, glad i did it, but it's definitely not like what you see on TV.

I'll answer any more questions you or she may have to the best of my ability, fire away! If you want to call or anything, feel free to PM me, however I can help you, say the word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckhunter80 View Post

Send a PM or email to EricF. He recently retired as a Master Chief

icon14.gif

Nalu22 is also a former coastie, as is, i believe, gobow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranfordJeff View Post

I really am grateful for my experience int eh USCG, glad i did it, but it's definitely not like what you see on TV.

there are shows about the coast guard on TV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckhunter80 View Post

Yes, on the Weather Channel. Wednesdays at 9:00pm called Coast Guard Alaska

There've been a few others as well. Movies, as well. When you see D-day landings, the guys driving the boats on the beach were mostly USCG. But them, i thiink you already knew that. biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I have to ask this since I can't picture CG boot being that difficult as it's based in Cape May, but is it?

Physical fitness requirements to graduate are set by congress, and are the same as every other branch of the military.

Was a Coastie from `75 to `79. Today's CG is way, way different from my time. That said, the CG is small enough to let the cream rise to the top and the sh** sink. If she's got her stuff together, she'll get noticed and rewarded. If she's a goof ball, that gets noticed too...

If she's gonna enlist, make sure she's guaranteed a Class A school right after boot camp. That's where she'll get her job training. Without a school, she'll have to wait until she gets selected for a school while she's out in the field or she'll have to "strike" on her own. That's a process much like "on the job training". She'll advance in rank quicker with a school right outta BC. Almost all the duty stations are on the water; but not all of them are resort areas. Figure Miami, Fl vs Gloucester, NJ.

If the CG is truly what she wants to do, she should be fine. I wish her the very best and thanks for her service. :)