Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CBMike

Some flaptails and prop needles

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Here are some flaptails I recently finished up. Both were basically copied from other builders here, the Lido style, from Paul, (thanks for the help), was a pain in the butt. I had to fabricate the cleat that drops the flaptail off center. Had to cut a piece of stainless with my dremel:kook: Then drill it out let me tell you that stainless is tough stuff. Needless to say its not the cleanest looking build. I give the guys who can do it well alot of credit. The other one was one I saw Ted copy a while back, was a little more user friendly going together. Both seem like they will be fun to use.[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3325873/width/600/height/450] These needles I had fun building also, was'nt sure how I should finish them, started out recessing the hardware to where only the charktail was exposed, but hated the tail wrap up front. Decided to leave the hardware external and be able to exchange the charktail for a flag or something. I'm sure there is a way to recess the hardware and still have the nose be clean but I could'nt envision it.

If you look around the muskie sites they have the cleats premade. Love the needles and wonder why needles with flap tails are not an east coast builders yearly make list. Also the stub pencil idea is great. Given a herky jerky movement that little flash may be a nice trigger mechanization. With both the needle and pencil both will lose a lot of distance in casting but if they are close it should be a fun surprise.

Nice looking stuff CBMike!

A friend and I put some spinners on the back of some pencils we used at the canal last season with some good results. :D

Those needles should draw a ton of attention if they sink a bit.

I like the shape of the spook, just watch out for the hooks. It looks like they are close enough to get caught on each other.

Winch…this east coast guy is cheap….or as you left coast guys would say el chepo…I have an LA trip coming next month.

Yup the hooks are close enough to catch, doh! I eyeballed the design from drawings that Steel Pulse posted of the Lido. Next ones will be a bit bigger for sure.