Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpelNoon

What's Up With Car Dealer Reviews Online?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Been looking to get a used car and doing some research online. I came across a couple of local dealers and found some reviews about the sales people from that particular dealer. So there I am reading the reviews and I notice that every single sales person in that dealer has tons of EXCELLENT reviews. I thought to myself, "this must be a great place". Being a slight bit skeptical, I looked up a couple of other dealers and found the same thing, all the sales people had nothing but stellar reviews. Just to be completely satisfied, I even inputted the names of a couple of car salesman I dealt with in the past who were very shady and dishonest. What did I find, nothing but stellar reviews on them too!

The main site that comes up in the searches is called "dealer rater" yet the reviews are exactly the same on the car dealer's website. I've never seen anything so dishonest in my life. How do these places get away with posting all good reviews for everyone and not a single negative one? What a sham.

This reminds me of when I got married and we had a pretty bad experience with our photographer. I tried to post a critical, but honest review on a LI site and it would not post. I treid again and I got an email from the site asking me to be objective! I wrote them back and told them I was being fully objective and that I would like my review posted and they still wouldn't post it. What the heck good are these "review" sites if so many are phony?

Been looking to get a used car and doing some research online. I came across a couple of local dealers and found some reviews about the sales people from that particular dealer. So there I am reading the reviews and I notice that every single sales person in that dealer has tons of EXCELLENT reviews. I thought to myself, "this must be a great place". Being a slight bit skeptical, I looked up a couple of other dealers and found the same thing, all the sales people had nothing but stellar reviews. Just to be completely satisfied, I even inputted the names of a couple of car salesman I dealt with in the past who were very shady and dishonest. What did I find, nothing but stellar reviews on them too!

The main site that comes up in the searches is called "dealer rater" yet the reviews are exactly the same on the car dealer's website. I've never seen anything so dishonest in my life. How do these places get away with posting all good reviews for everyone and not a single negative one? What a sham.

This reminds me of when I got married and we had a pretty bad experience with our photographer. I tried to post a critical, but honest review on a LI site and it would not post. I treid again and I got an email from the site asking me to be objective! I wrote them back and told them I was being fully objective and that I would like my review posted and they still wouldn't post it. What the heck good are these "review" sites if so many are phony?

Auto industry is a sham. From the time you buy your car, to getting it fixed, to selling it there trying to rip you off. Very unsavory biz.

My wife and I had a HORRIBLE dining experience at a wing place in Broadway Mall in Hicksville. Worst food we ever ate. She signed up on Yelp and posted a very negative review. They won't allow the post to "go public"! What a waste of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpelNoon View Post

Recently I've been thinking about getting a new car as mine is now 10 years old.  Let me say that I love my cars and keep them for a long time, so I want just what I want.  Also have only had manual transmissions in all my cars over the years.  Before going, I checked out on line as to what I'm looking for, and was pretty soon bombarded with ads, calls, etc.  To be fair, when called and I said I'd get back if interested because I hadn't made up my mind about buying yet, they refrained from calling back...e-mail was ok.

So I happened to read an article on line called  "Confessions of a Car Salesman" from Edmunds dot com site.  The author wrote the articles which, while dated, are still pretty much pertinent today.  It's rather long, but quite enlightening, I thought.  I did read it in stages.  So I had an email saying the car I wanted with "stick" and in a white color (cooler in the summer and doesn't show the dirt, IMO) was in stock if I wanted to take a look, drive, etc.  Went over with my DH and there were the elevated desk area and all that was mentioned in the article.  I original fellow I spoke with was the internet "manager" which is now a full time job...and probably a good one to have.  Then we were turned over to a nice young man who showed me the car, and wanted me to drive it, etc.  Well, at least now I know what the different trim lines are, and also that my car has been totally changed so it's more like a Forester.  So probably more than you need to know, anyway. 

Please let us know what you think of the article and read some of the newer comments, FYI.  (BTW, I think I'm going to hold off for another year on my '02 wagon. I have about 106,000 miles on it.)  Good Luck   tongue.gif

If you deal with a salesman, yer doing it wrong.

Use the net to work out the bottom line cost of the car you want, it's easy to do

Don't forget to consider the dealer discounts from the car company to the dealer. When a salesperson shows you some form and says "look, that's what we paid for it" they're lying.

Figure out the exact car you want with all the options you want, work out the dealers cost, add tax and tags, then add $300 ($500 if it's a very popular car) - they have to make some money. Get on the phone and start calling dealerships to see who will do your deal. If it's too easy you priced the car wrong, it should take quite a few calls (I start with the dealerships closest to me and work my way out)

A salesman will not be able to say yay or nay to your deal you'll end up talking to a manager every time.

If they say "Yes they'll do your deal" make sure (BE SPECIFIC) that your number is out the door, no other costs or fee's. Warn them that if you drive all the way over there and they try to add a single penny to the price you've just agreed to, you will have a complete meltdown in the middle of the showroom (like I did at Oasis Ford once).

I recently got a Mazda 3 for my son, the local dealer, who said no way to my price, called me to see if I had found one. I did - according to him the deal I got was impossible.

Guess he was wrong.

If you're looking for a used car, you need the Galv Book price. That's the book they use when they give you a trade in price for your car - they break out the Blue Book when they're selling the car. Blue Book is a scam.

Growing up, my best friends family owned a car dealership - I got to learn all the tricks from the inside ;)

Good info. Thanks. I'm a salesperson myself and while I always did things legitimately, my industry and job is under fire in a big way by government agencies and so on. Thats fine if everyone plays by the same rules but it seems that car dealers can do whatever they want with no consequences.

Even why we bought my wife's XTerra the salesperson was fine and I thought "this is to good to be true" and sure enough it was because when I got to financing they tried to screw me with made up charges that I verified were totally made up when I contacted the banks. Amazing how they can get away with stuff like that that is so highly illegal.

Two other anecdotes:

1. I recently bought a pre-owned car from Lexus of Edison NJ. When all was said and done they tried to sell me a bazillion warrantees for the tires, the RIMS, etc. They even tried to sell me a remote starter - FOR $750!! I laughed and said my local Parkway Stereo can do it for about $129. Crooks, all of them.

2. I put a 2003 Honda Accord up for sale 9PM Saturday night on craigslist - I got a deposit on it 12 hours later, and the new owner just left a little while ago. Yes, the pre-owned market IS strong!!!

As a kid I worked in a car dealership doing prep work, car jockeying, etc. and I can say without reservation that I would rate car salesmen as slightly above child molesters in terms of social Pariahs.

Sudsy, what's the galv book ?

I believe it may be NADA, if not, it's something way more secretive, that even my car dealer owner neighbor might not know about.

. Warn them that if you drive all the way over there and they try to add a single penny to the price you've just agreed to, you will have a complete meltdown in the middle of the showroom (like I did at Oasis Ford once).

My father always said your going to get taken, it is just a matter of how much. I've told a slaes rep and a manager that I would rather get my teeth drilled than deal with you people and it's not just you it's your whole industry. I got a lot of stories like everyone else. I feel like I was screwed every time I buy a car.