Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freakin Josh

Nautilus reels

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a question on the Nautilus NV reels i'm hopping to get one soon but not sure if i should get the NV 8-9 or the NV 10-11 g8. Going to be using it mostly for stripers and for a few trips to Panama and Mexico. Would be great if i can find a used one on SOL also.

It all depends on what you want of course. The NV 8/9 with the full spool weighs one tenth oz less than the 10/11 with the G8 spool and you get a faster retrieve with the latter- much faster toward the end of your backing- with the G8 spool and with less variation in drag, if that is an issue for you.

One way to look at it is do want the option for a fast retrieve 7 wt or a fast retrieve with an 8 wt?

Another way is do you want the backing capacity for an 11 wt or a little less capacity for a 9 wt?

In other words, do you want a 7 through 9wt reel or an 8 through 11 wt reel?

Good luck on finding a used NV anywhere!

Cheers,

Jim.

Sure you could run a 9 wt line on the regular 10/11 spool and the 8 spool too if you wanted to. If you wanted more backing for the G8 spool you could always go to spectra or just cut 15 feet of running line off the fly line.

The NVs are very light reels. Check out the weight against other reels for a 9 wt.

I got the 10-11 G8 and I love it. It is a very light reel and the drag is amazing.

You can buy an extra 10-11 spool and you are fully covered if needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post

I got the 10-11 G8 and I love it. It is a very light reel and the drag is amazing.

You can buy an extra 10-11 spool and you are fully covered if needed.

Man that's sweet! That's what i'm trying to buy so i can just switch around spools if i'm going to be using a heavier weight rod.