Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adevivio

Questions about New Jersey Beaches

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm going to be surfcasting New Jersey for the first time this summer and am very excited.  I've lived in New Jersey my whole life but my father who taught me lives in New York and we've always fished Long Island.  I expect I'll have to pay 5-10 bucks for a beach pass (maybe?) on most beaches but I was curious as to other regulations/rules I should know about before casting out.  I live in central NJ and won't have the time to travel too far so I'm most interested in the raritan bay/sandy hook area down to about Long Branch.  Are there areas I won't be allowed to fish (Other than where people are swimming)?  Do I need to obtain any liscences or passes?  Are there times of day I won't be able to fish?  Any and all info will be great. 

Thank you,

Andrew   

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopherr View Post

Theres no fish in those area's. Go to IBSP.

I've read and heard otherwise.  Thanks for the advice though.  Still looking for rules and regulations for fishing the beaches. 

You will need your saltwater license if you haven't already. It's free and you only need the NJ one unless you are still fishing NY.

Most beaches have designated swimming areas. Anywhere outside of that is fair game for both fishing and surfing. It's a challenge sometimes casting over those guys heads.:p

do a search on google for njfishandwildlife and you can find all the info you need about regulations. and you can register with the state there too. go to marine fisheries on the left side of the page and youll be there. check back in late april or may to see the full regulations in the marine digest. for now just use the regulations summary.

If you are fishing "summer", after mid June, 1) fish the mornings and evenings without the beach bathers. Parking will be easier and you won't need a badge while the lifeguards are off the beach. Toss jigs just heavy enough to tick the bottom. Tip them with Gulp and add a teaser hook with gulp on it. Fan cast, walk 30 yards, fan cast, catch fluke, rinse and repeat. 2) go to the tackle shops in your beach area and pick one you like. Buy stuff there and ask for advice on when, where and how. :th:

I think NJ DEP has a site with all the beach access as well. Mostly off beach hours make it easier for everyone involved. The only time I will fish during beach hours is Sandy Hook hanging out with family and then making some casts for fluke and blues.

If u need fishing buddy Im like 10-15min away from CB to Sandy Hook or if u want to go other beaches (SH nothing going on there only in IBSP,CB,SA, AP and CP where are bass right now). I can show you where are good spots on the beaches to fish when using plugs, throwing bunker or clam or even if u want to go kayak fishing. Just msg me

:) been spending a lot time fishing those areas and most kayak fishing. So far I have seen 2 places that ppl been catching nice bass with fresh bunker. I got few from kayak but lil boring going alone. My friends only fish from shore... There was rumor some one got 38' bass in CW

:) been spending a lot time fishing those areas and most kayak fishing. So far I have seen 2 places that ppl been catching nice bass with fresh bunker. I got few from kayak but lil boring going alone. My friends only fish from shore... There was rumor some one got 38' bass in CW

I'm getting a kayak soon. Have a few friends that yak. Scheduling is always an issue but maybe i'll message you if we're ll out and about soon.