Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmkscott

Fishing in Playa Del Carmen, braided line breaking while casting, wind knots?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Good Day,

I have got the bug. I recently tried surf casting from shore with my newly purchase St. Croix 10ft Travel rod paired with a Fin-nor 5500 spin casting reel. Spooled it with power pro blue super slick 8 30lb test line. I read alot of information form this site and beacuse of the reasearch from this site I backed my reel with 30lb mono prior to spooling 500+- yards of line. On the end of my line I used a tipit of 30lb flourocarbon line. I used the Uni to Uni knot making sure all of the line was properly seated in the right place and well lubricated when tightening the knot. I have a question in reguards to the power pro 30lb. I had several bad wind knots in the line, I spooled the line within a 1/4 of an inch of the spool so I do not think it was too much line on the spool that casued the problem. I lost two of my lures, one rapala (1oz) and a 3 oz casting sppon when my line broke after casting. Should i be spooled with 50 - 65lb for casting lures 1 - 4oz? I wanted the extra casting distance from the thinner line but I am finding myself holding back on my cast worried that I will break off another lure. I woke up early in the morning the second day there. 4am and headed down to a rocky outcrop that boardered our resourt and caught a 40 - 50lb baraccuda WoW what a great fight. The finnor worked well but after fighting for 10 minutes the drag locked up so I had to open the bail to release line out fearing a break off. The fish was still on the line when I reel the loose line in. the drag worked well there after.

I did pay attention to loose line when casting making sure I held the line to add some drag to it until the weight of the lure was evident. Frustrating when you are nervous to give the lure a good chuck fearing a break off in the air. So would 50 - 65lb Braided help with casting break offs and wind knots? I am sure I was only casting a 50 - 60% and the heavier line would most likely head out further even with the addition line drag.

I though I would post on this site with this question being that it seems there are a lot of very experienced fishing addicts on this site farmiliar with surf casting and sutch.

Have a great day

Cheers

Scott

Any advice on correcting wind knots? My thoughts are that a lrger diameter line would fix the problem, or perhaps another line. Alot of people rave about the suffix 832 and the Diawa samari line?

Type in wind knots in the sites search bar....That will surely answer any questions you may or may not have. Tons of threads on it.

Welcome to the site. You owe us a Joke....... :D

I did a search on the Forum and after two and a half hours found an enlightening post on Finnor reels. He mentioned that they are designed for heavier weight lines recomended braides are 50 - 65lb test. So the 30lb Power pro was most likely to nimmble and thin for the engineering of the reel to work properly. I think I will try 50lb Power pro or alternatly Diawa Samurai 55lb or Diawa tournament Hyper PE braid in 50lb test.

Cheers

Hope you liked the joke

Let's learn about how "wind" is pronounced.

Think about reeling in or winding in (wind a watch). So the problem is a retrieving problem, it is not due to wind (breeze).

On a spinning reel when loose line is wound back on and then some of the line is wound tighter, it will dig in and pull some of the loose line out before the line is unwound enough to get to that part of the line, that is a wind knot.

When cranking line back onto the reel, it all has to be tight.

Casting small light-weight lures, that don't offer much resistance (keeping the line tight) when cranking them back in causes problems the next cast.

Casting sinkers of tins, jigs, Hopkins type of lures gives good resistance, keeping the line tight when winding (cranking) back in.