Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Kosher salt on bunker

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Non Iodized salt, maybe Kosher is just that, not sure. Cover the entire fish, both side, will help suck out the moisture, yet keep the fish pliable.

Bunker, no matter what method i have used, once it thaws out good luck. I keep a good amount for crab bait and chum, but for fish bait, rarely. Tough to beat fresh though, my favorite

Tough to beat fresh, yeah, but if you have more fresh than you can use at a sitting, by all means roll the bunker in kosher salt- you can't use too much, bread it in salt - and vacuum-pack and freeze it as fast as you can. Better good bait salted and frozen fast than freezer-burned garbage, and that's what you get half the time.

I vacuum pack/freeze fresh bunker all the time (so I have some backup for when fresh is not available),

I have not salted bunker, but as long as the bunker is packed & frozen while it is still fresh it seems to hold up well.

I will try some kosher salt before I pack it this year.

I cut up the fish ,then pour Kosher salt on top of the chunks. The next day I pour the juice out , so that it is fairly dry. Then I add more dry salt to it. I put it in a 5 gal container with a cover on it and put it in the shade.. After 3 or 4 days it is hard as a rock. It doesn.t fall off the hook.

In my experience , freezing it for any length of time no matter what you do, ruins it.

I salt mine and keep them in the fridge for up to a week. If you need to keep the bunker any longer than that, you probably took too many.

I have salted Bunker in my refrigerator from last fall never frozen doesn't stink it's soft enough to put on a hook, and the fish will bite on it. It's was just chunked and plenty of kosher salt.

Most tackle shops that sell "Fresh Bunker" keep it in a kosher salt brine (fresh water-ice-salt).  The "fresh" bait you just purchased may be as much as 2-3 days old in many cases.

If you’re going to freeze bunker first thing is to is baking soda which will kill bacteria present and then flash freeze it, that’s a freezer set on a minimum of −30* F not your average temps. Having said that fresh is best with the slime still on it, I use to brine on cooler for those that want it that way and one just one ice nice and slimey.:D:D

What kind of vacuum sealers do you guys use, the regular household kind or do you suggest a heavy duty commercial sealer? I was thinking of investing in a good sealer for the fall mullet run - catch and seal enough to last a few months.

I'm using the same FoodSaver that I use for everything. Newly salted & vacuum-bagged baits (two bunker or four small mackerel) go on the bottom shelf of the freezer.

It makes me nuts to be unable to get out on a partyboat right now for mackerel, for exactly that purpose.

I vacuum pack/freeze fresh bunker all the time (so I have some backup for when fresh is not available),

I have not salted bunker, but as long as the bunker is packed & frozen while it is still fresh it seems to hold up well.

I will try some kosher salt before I pack it this year.

I've done that as well for emergencies........Still turns to mush.