Hard freeze forecast for mon night

Rate this topic

HaysWalt

Enjoy all the new blossoms tomorrow- so much for our peach crop this year :shock:

From NOAA Mount Holley

NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK. ... A WIDESPREAD HARD FREEZE IS LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY TUESDAY MORNING. ... TO 25 NM SOUTH OF MARTHAS VINEYARD AND NANTUCKET- COASTAL ...

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.

our new house has a peach tree in the back that just started getting a bunch of flowers. should it be covered? the wife was really excited about it.........

the rest of our plants are in pots waiting to be transplanted, so they can come inside

I need to move all my herbs inside right? I have Sage, basil cilantro and some other things started indoors moved outdoors last week.

The sage will be fine.....the basil, definitely move inside, it is one of the most frost sensitive plants there is.

It is only supposed to get down to about 25 here, so I can't imagine it getting much below 28 or so down by you guys, especially near the coast......just a light cover on most things (except the basil) should do ya.

Unless of course you got fooled by last week's warmth, pushed the season too much and were silly enough to have things like tomatoes, peppers, and beans outside already....:dismay:

Cole type crops (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage), peas, onions, and most types of salad greens will be fine. I have two flats full of those type of seedlings, and they are staying out......I will just throw them under the glass of the cold frame.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

From the weather underground:

Fruit trees at risk

Tonight's hard freeze poses a significant danger to the region's fruit industry, and growers of apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, and cherries are gearing up to battle the freezing temperatures by operating large fans and propane heaters in orchards in an attempts to keep temperatures a few degrees warmer. While freezing temperatures for an extended period will not kill the trees, they will destroy the flowers and fragile buds that are needed to produce fruit later in the year. The situation this week is similar to what occurred in 2007. A warm spell in March that year was followed by cold temperatures in early April that were 10 - 20 degrees below average, bringing killing frosts and freezes to the Midwest and South that caused $2.2 billion in agricultural damage, wiping out apple, peach, winter wheat and alfalfa crops. In an interview with citizensvoice.com, Ian Merwin, Ph.D., a horticulturist who specializes in tree fruit at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., said, "I'm pretty sure this will be the earliest bloom, going back at least to the early 1900s. We are definitely in a very risky situation right now for the fruit crop in the whole Northeast."

Jeff Masters

Now a hard freeze warning- Won't affect fishing but, it is going to ruin alot of early blooming fruits/crops.

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EDT TUESDAY. THE

FREEZE WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TEMPERATURES...DROPPING INTO THE MID TO UPPER 20S. EVEN

LOCATIONS ALONG THE COASTAL STRIPS OF NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE,

AND IN THE HIGHLY URBANIZED METRO AREAS, MAY SEE TEMPERATURES

DROP TO AROUND 30 DEGREES.

* IMPACTS...DUE TO AN UNUSUALLY WARM WINTER AND EARLY SPRING, THE

GROWING SEASON HAS BEGUN AROUND THE REGION. ANY VEGETATION

SUSCEPTIBLE TO FREEZING TEMPERATURES OVER A PERIOD OF THREE OR

MORE HOURS WOULD BE AT RISK.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...