Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tfunk

Two hour before and two hour after rule

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I've been fishing the RB for a few years now and I am finally catching bass here and there. I've always followed the 2 hour before and two after high tide rule. The tide was perfect Friday night which kept me fishing until around 12AM. Got a 33" bass on the very last cast. Anyway the night bite seems to be the best. Is the RB worth fishing at night or anytime when the tide is fairly low? I've been out there before when I could walk a hundreds yards or so before it got deeper. The evening is the best time for me since I have no kid duties. Just wondered if fishing the low tide in the RB is worth it. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

I have fished the back of the RB for 45 years, it's my back yard. You have to scout the area you want to fish during a west wind low tide. the water will be at least 100 yrds farther out than normal. then you will know where you can wade out at night without tripping over something. I have caught at low tide, but, i know where the dropoff is. I have waded out 100 yrds and have only been up to my hips in water. caught on clams and also storm shad/teaser combos. The only problem i have found is someone setting up behind you on the beach, don't want to get hit in the back of the head with a sinker..

I think the key is TIDE, aka moving water.  Some areas fish better on higher water some lower just as long as its moving.  Just when you think you've got it all dialed in you'll kill em on the wrong tide, go figure.  They're going to eat when hungry, that's it.

I use the knee rule. As long as the water is a little bit above my knee cap without wading too far, I fish. Once it blows way out, I am done. You can walk out with a bag of bait and fish in the water. This is better on an outgoing. On an incoming I almost drowned once when the tide was coming into fast, ha,ha I was backing up, backing up and that tide was coming, barely made it out. I have caught all my fish this year at the beginning of the outgoing.