Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cgf

Forty Plus vs Cold Saltwater DI7

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking for a DI7 for 10wt TiCR X. Narrowed it down to these two Airflo lines. Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Casting will be from shore and boat. Thanks guys

The Coldsaltwater 40+ Type 7 (aqua blue/green running line) is a much better line. The running line is slightly thicker and doesn't tangle much at all, especially compared to the standard 40+ (yellow mono type running line). The new ones have a seamless join and 1-piece core which have stopped the issues of the join cracking/breaking that used to happen on the old lines. However the 'ridge' type running line cuts your fingers so wear finger protection. The running lines don't coil in cold water either unlike other lines branded 'coldwater' lines. Buy the designated line weight for your rod as there is no need to overline.

I have an 8 wt TICR X and use 9 wt Air Flo Cold Saltwater Intermediate. Fishing from shore up here in the Boston area I find this line rarely tangles which is a key plus from my perspective.

The bottom line is what i've been using for the last 3 years. I did however pick up the clear version of the same line this winter....hoping the clear will be more stealthy for some flats fishing.