Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OmJee

Reel Comparison (Shimano stradic FJ 8000 vs Thunnus ci4 8000)

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Depends on what you are going to use them for. Surf? Plugs? The Thunus is a big reel. I think the new ones are alot lighter than the older models. The Thunus is also a bait runner type reel.

So, what is your application?

Primarily surf // pier fishing.

Everyone keeps stating the "Bait Runner" feature. Isnt it just a drag setting?

Generally throwing live bait, might try plugs on it.

Have a stadic ci4 (4000) for plugs.

the Baitrunner feature" is not a drag setting exactly...its a secondary drag system that allows you to leave the bail open and main drag disengaged, but have an adjustable, lighter drag set to hold live bait in place and let a fish run with it with little resistance before engaging the main drag to set the hook and fight the fish.  Its also useful for chunking where you might normally use a conventional reel with the reel in free spool and the clicker on ...

I use both the new Thunnus and Baitrunner D series and love the feature...but I do mostly live bait and chunking from a boat.  People have argued that both of these reels are heavier than you might ideally want for throwing artificial lures all day, but to me the little bit of extra weight is a fine trade off for the excellent baitfishing capabilities if you want the reel for both applications.

I was on a charter in costa rica last month and the mate was throwing a large plug all day (in addition to the live baits we had out) to attract a surface strike.  He had a lot of reels on board to choose from  and he was casting all day with an older Thunnus (which I believe was considerably heavier than either the new Thunnus or Baitrunner D series reels.  "considerably" being a relative and subjective term).

the Baitrunner feature" is not a drag setting exactly...its a secondary drag system that allows you to leave the bail open and main drag disengaged, but have an adjustable, lighter drag set to hold live bait in place and let a fish run with it with little resistance before engaging the main drag to set the hook and fight the fish.  Its also useful for chunking where you might normally use a conventional reel with the reel in free spool and the clicker on ...

I use both the new Thunnus and Baitrunner D series and love the feature...but I do mostly live bait and chunking from a boat.  People have argued that both of these reels are heavier than you might ideally want for throwing artificial lures all day, but to me the little bit of extra weight is a fine trade off for the excellent baitfishing capabilities if you want the reel for both applications.

I was on a charter in costa rica last month and the mate was throwing a large plug all day (in addition to the live baits we had out) to attract a surface strike.  He had a lot of reels on board to choose from  and he was casting all day with an older Thunnus (which I believe was considerably heavier than either the new Thunnus or Baitrunner D series reels.  "considerably" being a relative and subjective term).

Leave the bail open?? How can any drag on a spinning reel function with the bail open? I was under the impression the bait runner drag was primary until you turn the crank.

I plugged with my 8k Thunnus CI4 - and it was a DREAM - was like - having 2 reels in 1 - SUPER smooth and felt light for that capacity. Have it matched on a 10' premier

no experience with the Stradic

I own 2 ci4 thunnus reels. The 8000 and the 4000. Both of these reels

are super smooth, light, and excellent casters. I also bought, fished, and

sold a new FJ 8000 reel. The new stradic is one of the best stradics yet! My 8000

Thunnus ci8000 is over an ounce lighter than the new stradic 8000 though.

I have so many spinnning reels. After fishing both models, the fj stradic

and the Thunnus ci4, if i had to choose only one to fish all the time it

would be the Thunnus. I have been casting plugs and bait with the thunnus,

and they work great as an all around reel for me.

You cannot go wrong with either reel. If I wanted a 4000 size reel to throw

light plugs, and jigs I would go with the fj Stradic. If i was to go with an 8000

size reel for weight and bait, plugs, or boat use, I would go with the CI4 Thunnus.

I own 2 ci4 thunnus reels. The 8000 and the 4000. Both of these reels

are super smooth, light, and excellent casters. I also bought, fished, and

sold a new FJ 8000 reel. The new stradic is one of the best stradics yet! My 8000

Thunnus ci8000 is over an ounce lighter than the new stradic 8000 though.

I have so many spinnning reels. After fishing both models, the fj stradic

and the Thunnus ci4, if i had to choose only one to fish all the time it

would be the Thunnus. I have been casting plugs and bait with the thunnus,

and they work great as an all around reel for me.

You cannot go wrong with either reel. If I wanted a 4000 size reel to throw

light plugs, and jigs I would go with the fj Stradic. If i was to go with an 8000

size reel for weight and bait, plugs, or boat use, I would go with the CI4 Thunnus.

The FJ 8000 is about $100 cheaper, has a stronger metal frame (despite the undetectable weight difference of only 1 oz.), and has a drag rated at 29lb.'s vs. Thunnus' 20lb.'s. Without having the benefit of actually fishing either model in the 8000 size can you tell me what leads you to believe the Thunnus is a better option for the big pluggin application?

The FJ 8000 is about $100 cheaper, has a stronger metal frame (despite the undetectable weight difference of only 1 oz.), and has a drag rated at 29lb.'s vs. Thunnus' 20lb.'s. Without having the benefit of actually fishing either model in the 8000 size can you tell me what leads you to believe the Thunnus is a better option for the big pluggin application?

MV, A couple of things to clarify here. The new Stradicis are not $100.00 cheaper,

the new fj 8000 retail for $239.00 and the Thunnus retails for $289.00. Thats

around $50.00. Big difference! :). Secondly, the stradics side plate is graphite,

and the thunnus has a aluminum sideplate, and the stradics rotor is also graphite,

so it is not an all metal body. Check the Shimano website.

I'm not sure I really believe an all aluminum frame is stronger than the new

ci4 technology. At least not for the applications I used these reels which

was offshore. Both reels can handle big fish, but the Thunnus offers me the

benefit of freelining live bait or chunks from boat or shore with the baitrunner

option. I also believe the ci4 is more corrosion resistant.

To me, the older FI series Stradic was a better deal at $179.00 than

the new FJ. To answer your question about plugging with the CI4

thunnus, I wouldnt say it would be better than the stradic, but just

as good. What I meant to say is if I am throwing large plugs I like to

use larger reels. If I was to have to choose only one reel, either the fj

or thunnus for plugging, the Thunnus would get the nod for me. I

would get the added versatility with the Thunnus without the hugh

price difference.

MV, A couple of things to clarify here. The new Stradicis are not $100.00 cheaper,

the new fj 8000 retail for $239.00 and the Thunnus retails for $289.00. Thats

around $50.00. Big difference! :). Secondly, the stradics side plate is graphite,

and the thunnus has a aluminum sideplate, and the stradics rotor is also graphite,

so it is not an all metal body. Check the Shimano website.

I'm not sure I really believe an all aluminum frame is stronger than the new

ci4 technology. At least not for the applications I used these reels which

was offshore. Both reels can handle big fish, but the Thunnus offers me the

benefit of freelining live bait or chunks from boat or shore with the baitrunner

option. I also believe the ci4 is more corrosion resistant.

To me, the older FI series Stradic was a better deal at $179.00 than

the new FJ. To answer your question about plugging with the CI4

thunnus, I wouldnt say it would be better than the stradic, but just

as good. What I meant to say is if I am throwing large plugs I like to

use larger reels. If I was to have to choose only one reel, either the fj

or thunnus for plugging, the Thunnus would get the nod for me. I

would get the added versatility with the Thunnus without the hugh

price difference.

This is great input, I was just about to pull the trigger on a FJ 8000 but now you got me thinking...:huh: I do like the benefit of the baitrunner feature although I can't remember the last time I livelined or chunked. I do occasionally throw live eels but I much prefer the slow mo crawl back to shore over the soaking with the baitrunner methodology. Options are good unless you never use them and pay more for the feature. Despite listed MSRP's, a search of the auctions finds a lowest price (Buy it now) of $250 shipped for the Thunnus 8000 and $172.48 for the FJ 8000. Looks like we were both wrong as the actual price difference is $77.52, that's what my wallet will truly be asked to shell out to opt for the baitrunner feature. Is it worth it...hmmmm.:confused:

As far as frame rigidity is concerned, we may disagree on that point. I have a Stradic Ci4 bodied 4000 and a FJ metal bodied 5000 and the Ci4 frame does not seem nearly as strong as the FJ's metal body does but admittedly this is purely anecdotal evidence. I also wouldn't take the website as the gospel as there are noted spec. mistakes on there now and I thought someone mentioned previously that the FJ's were in fact full metal construction. More facts not in evidence I know but I would like to make sure I get the straight scoop on the two as to make the most informed purchasing decision. Your comments and observations are appreciated.

I bought a Thunnus Ci4 6000, loved it and went out and got the Ci4 4000.   I will probably get the Ci4 8000 soon for its reel capacity.  It's super smooth and a fine tool to have.  Highly recommend the Thunnus Ci4 series.