Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJ

3/5 sergeant to be awarded Silver Star

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division is the unit that was my favorite in all of the different commands I served in the Corps. Marine Battalions are refered to by the battalion number a slash and then the Regimental number. 3/5 pronounced "Three Five"

3/5 sergeant to be awarded Silver Star

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer

Posted : Friday Mar 23, 2012 19:02:45 EDT

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — The Marine Corps will award the Silver Star next week to an infantry squad leader with Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, for leading his men through an unrelenting firefight in Afghanistan nearly two years ago, 1st Marine Division said Friday.

Insurgents ambushed Sgt. Ryan T. Sotelo and the men with 2nd Platoon’s 1st Squad, attacking them Nov. 25, 2010, with machinegun and small arms fire. The platoon commander, 1st Lt. William Donnelly of Frederick, Md., was killed.

Sotelo “immediately took charge of the unit, moved them to a nearby canal and then sprinted through heavy fire across the open ground to retrieve the body of his fallen lieutenant,” the award citation states. “As insurgents began to assault the position, he fearlessly led his squad as they repelled the enemy.”

At one point, as one of his Marines came under fire, the sergeant “closed on the insurgent and killed him with a grenade,” according to the citation.

The fighting raged on and when Marine reinforcements got pinned down by enemy fire, Sotelo “again exposed himself to the fire in order to engage the enemy machine gun with his personal weapon, finally calling in an air strike that silenced the enemy gun,” the citation states. But the threat remained, and “realizing that his situation was dire, Sergeant Sotelo led a fighting withdrawal more than 600 meters through enemy fire to bring his squad back to friendly lines.”

Sotelo will receive the award, which credits him for “bold leadership [and] wise judgment,” during a March 30 ceremony at Camp Pendleton. During its 2010-11 deployment, 3/5 operated as part of Regimental Combat Team 2 in Helmand province’s Sangin district.

Nice job Sgt. Sotelo. Thank you.

A Marine Rifle Squad consists of 13 men. A Squad Leader and 3 four man Fire Teams. It is referred to through out the world's military as "The Big Squad." Most infantry squads consist of 8 to 9 men. The US Army squad has a Squad Leader and 2 fourman Fire teams.

It was designed to absorb the high rate of attrition expected in storming beaches in WWII. It has proved to be the most effective and lethal Squad configeration for the past 72 years.

It's ability to manuver under fire is deadly. Weither it be , one Fireteam laying down a base of fire to keep the enemy occupied and two Firesteams moving forward in the attack or Two Firedteams bringing a huge amount of fire to bear that allows a single firetem to rush the objective , toss grenades or set explosives to blow bunkers or holes in wire obsticals. Each Fireteam has a Fireteam Leader is built around an automatic weapon. The SAW is being replaced inthe Marine Corps by an automatice rfle. The AR is lighter and more accurate than the LMG SAW.

A Marine platoon has Three 13 man Squads and a Leadership unit consisting of a platoon Sgt. A Lt. and a radioman.

With the advanced communications available today the Leadership portion may be larger.

Semper Fi.

I was with 1rst Combat Engineer Battalion at Pendleton,we shared the parade deck with them for Regimental formations.Thier barracks were behind ours.I spent many days,weeks,months etc.. attached to 5th Marines units on CAX, and field ops.High quality Marines.

I was with 1rst Combat Engineer Battalion at Pendleton,we shared the parade deck with them for Regimental formations.Thier barracks were behind ours.I spent many days,weeks,months etc.. attached to 5th Marines units on CAX, and field ops.High quality Marines.

SemperFi, Brother.

When I served in the 5th Marine Regt. Our Location was Camp San Margarita. 1958-59. then 3/5 followed 1/5 and 2/5 to Okinawa. Switching Battalions with the Third Marine Regiment, that was normally attached to the 3rd Marine Division. The Corps called the battalions that were involved, before Viet Nam, Transplacement Battalions.

They were formed with seasoned junior and senior NCO's and the squads filled up with hard chargers right out of ITR. All the Officers were seasoned as well. Not a single 2nd Lt. in the Battalion.

So I served in 3/5 in the First Marine Division for 9 months and for 15 months in the 3rd Marine Division. I got picked for the Advanced party and when to Okinawa two months earlier than the rest of the Battalion. Life was very good to me in that Advanced Party time frame. ;)

We had a hellofatour in the Far East. Japan, Okinawa, Manila, Hong Kong, Formosa, and N.Z. Chased HUKS in the Phillipean Islands Presidential Guard of Honor when President IKE visited Okinawa. And stood off shore from Viet Nam in November 1960 on an LPH (USS WASP) when there was a RV of V Paratrooper Coup going on. I voted for JFK while cruising off shore. I turned 21 in May of 1960. He was the last Democrat president i voter for. None of them could hold a candle to John F. Kennedy.

RJ,

When I was at Pendleton,my battalion,1rst CEB and 5th Marines were at 62 Area (San Mateo). We were right there at the back gate.It only took us five minutes to be in downtown San Clemente.Many good nights there.The tomatoe patch was in back of our barracks and between 5th Marines and us.You always knew when it was planting season since they would fertalize with tons of manure.Could smell it for weeks.

I was with Golf 2/5 in Fort Sherman in Panama for jungle warfare in 93.We came home a couple of weeks earlier due to a brawl with the guys at Sherman.Every CAX we pulled at 29 Palms was with a 5th Marines Battalion.Did Mountain Warfare school at Bridgeport wih 1/5 and West Pac was with 2/5.So,basically I've been attached to every battalion in the 5th Marines at one point.I saw many 2nd Lts running around,some were good and squared away some were like a fart in the wind.When I got to Lejeune in Sept of 95 I wound up going to 8th ESB at French Creek.The were at CAX out at the Palms so I got jammed in the mailroom.Totally different world than being with Division,especially dealing with WMs.:shock:.Anyway,Lt Epperson got tired of me and sent me to 2nd CEB just up the road.Thought she was kickin me in the azz but just sent me back to what I was used to and felt in place.I was attached to 4th and 8th Marines there.

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed in.I could be just about retired now,and the friends I made would run through a wall for you.Semper Fi Brother.

Sounds like old home week for the Jarheads!!!! Semper Fi you guys. Nice to see the "second team" is so full of pride.:D

C Co., 1st Bn. 505th Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division.

Airborne...All The Way!!!!!!!!!

RJ, in less than a month, we're gonna start chasing stripers, blues, fluke and weakies in Great Bay. You know there is space for you on the Knight. :)

We are chasing striped bass now. The Hudson River bunch is spawning run staging along the MO CO beaches including Raritan Bay. The local headboats will be starting to put up there Striped Bass Trip signs any day now. I haven't cruised the harbor since friday, but if they are up, I'll let you know. When they get active in the Navesink River, y'all come up and we will fish my dory.

Plug Chucker, I did MLT at Bridgeport & Winter Warfare as well, 30 years earlier and 29 Stumps as well. The 5th Marine Regt. hiked from San Margarita to 2 9 Palms one fine week back in the day.

Most of us made it. ;) You take care brother. If your fishing ever takes you close to the MOCO part of the Jersey Shore there is space aboard my Dory. PM me with your phone # if you'd like.

Bob

RJ,

We had heard rumors of units humping from Pendleton to the Palms.I do believe 1rst Marines did it while I was there.Never had the pleasure of doing it myslef.Heck, 1rst Sergeant's Hill,Grim Reaper etc.. at Pendleton were enough for me.I fish up Mo Co. way quite a bit.I'll be sure to send you my number.I appreciate the offer.Sounds cool to talk Marine shop across the generations.

great story!

hey RJ, didn't your boy John Kerry get a Silver Star when he was in the Marines in Vietnam?

Jonesy, you and I know full well that John F. Kerry received awards as a US Navy Swift Boat operator. One of them was a Bronze Star, just one notch below a Silver Star. He of course had to improve its worth by affixing a "V" for valor on the Bronze Star. That was one lie to far and he took a real medal and made it look like dog dung by trying to make it seem better.

Segway to a Cocktal Party on the Hill! "Oh John, what is that cute little "V" on that ribbon mean? Vigorous? she said batting her eylashes and stroking his shoulder. No, my dear, it stands for Valorous, as he pats her on her ample ass, and smiles wickedly as he leans forward to whisper in her ear." After she giggles in appreciation, John pulls out his photo's of him standing with his foot on the chest of a 15 year old VC he bagged in the Delta.

The Marine Officer I remember receiving two Silver Stars was Oliver North. he was also wounded 5 times in three tours in Vietnam but only reported two of them, because he didn't what to leave his men in the field.

You have any more cute questions for me, sweet pea?

The Award to the Sgt. Sotelo wasn't a story it was an Award for his Act of Valor while facing a superior enemy force and taking care of his squad.

Jonesy, you and I know full well that John F. Kerry received awards as a US Navy Swift Boat operator. One of them was a Bronze Star, just one notch below a Silver Star. He of course had to improve its worth by affixing a "V" for valor on the Bronze Star. That was one lie to far and he took a real medal and made it look like dog dung by trying to make it seem better.

Segway to a Cocktal Party on the Hill! "Oh John, what is that cute little "V" on that ribbon mean? Vigorous? she said batting her eylashes and stroking his shoulder. No, my dear, it stands for Valorous, as he pats her on her ample ass, and smiles wickedly as he leans forward to whisper in her ear." After she giggles in appreciation, John pulls out his photo's of him standing with his foot on the chest of a 15 year old VC he bagged in the Delta.

The Marine Officer I remember receiving two Silver Stars was Oliver North. he was also wounded 5 times in three tours in Vietnam but only reported two of them, because he didn't what to leave his men in the field.

You have any more cute questions for me, sweet pea?

The Award to the Sgt. Sotelo wasn't a story it was an Award for his Act of Valor while facing a superior enemy force and taking care of his squad.

RJ,

Got to correct you, sorry. Kerry was awarded the Silver Star during his service. So far, so good. When he ran for President on his website he posted a SILVER STAR WITH V. When I saw that, something seemed wrong and within a few days the news came out that it was bogus. The Silver Star is awarded for valor, for courage under fire. The Bronze Star is also awarded for valor during duty but is a couple of steps below the Silver Star. The V is only given to Bronze Star recipients if the awarders feel the individual has performed above the leve of the Bronze Star but below the Silver Star.

You cannot get a V on the Silver Star. The Silver Star is the V. So Kerry's V on the Silver Star was bogus and "gilding the lily" if you will. And the proof of that is right after the report came out that the V on the Silver Star is not "Kosher", Kerry's campaign pulled the "V". That he felt the need to dress up his Silver Star tells me that he didn't not hold his award in much regard in the first place. He wasn't even honest about his awards. He was a medal hunter for political purposes and a phony.

BTW, nice troll Jonesy. You guys elect such great Senators.:D

I thought Kerry had 3 CMHs,and 5 Silver Stars with V of course in his 3 month tour?

Not counting losing an arm and a leg and having his juggular vein blown open by a VC mine (3 purple hearts):D