Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redharley

Anchoring Pole

17 posts in this topic

I'm thinking heavy and awkward to have something like that mounted to a yak. Just get the pole with a length of rope or bungee with a stainless snap on the end and you should be good.

Maybe I was thinking of something different. Now that I re-read your post, are you talking about just making a 12' pole? Or are you looking to have it sticking up from the back of the yak? Like the power poles do. I think you're just taking about a stake out pole which is a common accessory.

I haven't done this yet. But this is what I will do. Take a section of 3/4" pvc of a length suitable to my fishing situations, cut one end at a 45, drill a hole(off center) throught it and thread a large split ring. Tie off on the split ring or just slide the ring over the end of the pole. I might even glue an end cap so it canwithstand a bit of poinding.

3/4 pvc with a Tee on top, bang a dowel into the bottom foot or so, cut bottom, both pipe and dowel, at steep angle. You can slide it through your anchor trolley, or tie a line around it. The Tee will prevent the line from slipping off.

I use an aluminum extension pole. It slides into each other and is very short so it doesn't get in the way. I heat the end with a torch until it's super hot then i slide a round float down the shaft so it solidifies at the end of the pole, i then shear off one section of float perfectly flat so it fits the contour of my yak perfectly and is not in the way . A stainless steel rings protrudes directly under the float to attach line to it but the whole thing floats so you can't lose it anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

I use an aluminum extension pole. It slides into each other and is very short so it doesn't get in the way. I heat the end with a torch until it's super hot then i slide a round float down the shaft so it solidifies at the end of the pole, i then shear off one section of float perfectly flat so it fits the contour of my yak perfectly and is not in the way . A stainless steel rings protrudes directly under the float to attach line to it but the whole thing floats so you can't lose it anyway.

What's the chance of hearing more about this arrangement, eg, How large is the float; Does it slide over the Outside of the Pole, or Inside; What causes it to 'solidify' to the end of the Pole; Were there SS rings on the Float, if not, where'd they come from?

Much Obliged,

nunc

This won't work for deeper applications. I use an aluminum ski pole, (basket removed), took out the screw that went into the handle & held the strap, slipped in a stainless ring where the strap was & replaced the old screw with a stainless one. Works great for shallow flats!