Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i07nyc

choker guide placement for 2 different reels

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

i'm building my rod and am planning on using a vs250 as the first reel and a penn 704 as a second. they both have a similar spool size (vs is very slightly larger) i entered the dimesions into fuji's gps software and the the choke point for the vs came to 74.41 inches. the penn came to 72.28 inches. i was thinking it might not be such a good idea to go with the shorter number. i was thinking of either going with the 74.41 or splitting the difference and going with something like 73.3 inches. any ideas or am i wasting my time worrying about nothing.

If you are going to be using both reels, I would split the difference at 73". I don't think 1 inch is going to matter that much, braid is very forgiving.

It won;t make a lick of difference at all. Trust me I have tested guide layouts till I'm sick and have found that choker placement really is not that big a deal. Guide size and height is a bit more important. Now I have found using the Fuji KR concept" kind of "that gathering guide placement isn't as big a deal either. You still need to get the distance good with test casting but that angle from reel to guide is no big deal.

I built up a 8'6" using all kinds of high frames and ring sizes and finally went to a K30L followed by a K20 down to a K10 to 8 runners. The angle to the reel from the 30 was there and I thought "this is a waste" Well it casted better then having it setup NGC with COF first gather guides. The Theory: The angle of the reel to gathering guide knocks the spiraling line down to a straight and once it passes through the first guide it's cake from there. You can step down in guide size so much quicker. I place the choke where it looked and worked with the layout. What I'm saying is don't get to hung up on choker placement.

Here's the thing - reel spool upsweep makes almost zero difference in terms of casting performance. On the other hand, reel spool diameter makes a ton of difference. This is why I created the 27X choker location factor. It's based on spool diameter which is of greater importance than spool upsweep.

If the spool diameters are very close in size, then what's optimum for one will be optimum for the other, assuming you're using similar size and type line.

Beyond that, an inch here or there isn't going to amount to any measurable difference in casting distance.

great responses. hopefully i can take it out tommrow and do some test casts. to be on the safe side i'll probably go with the longer distance.

IMO you should try the shorter choke point. Surfmaster indicates that he is choking faster than ever. Fuji's KR CONCEPT research also indicates moving the choke point toward the reel (Rapid Choke). You might at least tape and test the closer choke point.

You can see for yourself withtest casting that it wont matter that much. For 1 if you are using the same striper guide at about the same distance from the reel for both reels once you get past it the reel size doesnt reel matter. if you reduce your ring size so that your last reducer is relatively small the line will be running pretty straight already having it hit an 8 ring an inch early or late shouldnt matter

On a K set up would you guys still recommend using the Butt to reel stem measurement times the spool lip diamater as a starting point for choke location?

My 11' spinner fits be best with a 24" butt to stem and has a 2.25 spool lip diameter and the formula calls for a to 54" choke location from the spool face.

My reduction is looking like a 25k-20K-16K to 10Krunners. Will finalize that later tonight aftre seeing what gives the best bulleseye.

I can the say the 30K is not lining up correctly unless it is way to close to the spoolface. I may even need to go with a 25-16-12 (best bullseye) to 10 runner .

Will report back.

Try the choke at 60", that should be your starting point with a 2.25 spool. The first guide will be pushed out to 36" or so. Your guides will look like 30, 25, 16, 12, 10's . Another option to think about is ditching the 12 and going with a 10 as the choke.