Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

Fox News Endorses Pink Slime

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hard to believe, but here is what they said.

"The meat, often called "lean finely textured beef, is made up of beef that is just harder to get at, so the meat isn’t lost. It’s treated to get rid of the fat and included with the rest of the ground beef. The USDA declares it healthy, but it is less expensive. As an added bonus, it is treated tiny amounts of ammonium hydroxide to make it safer to eat. "

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/23/how-abc-news-smeared-stellar-company-with-pink-slime/

A better term for this stuff would be "Mystery Meat".

Why, because the ingredients change day-to-day, depending on how hungover the cleaning crew was the night before.

"The meat, often called "lean finely textured beef, is made up of beef that is just harder to get at, so the meat isn’t lost. It’s treated to get rid of the fat and included with the rest of the ground beef. The USDA declares it healthy, but it is less expensive. As an added bonus, it is treated tiny amounts of ammonium hydroxide to make it safer to eat. "

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/23/how-abc-news-smeared-stellar-company-with-pink-slime/

Why, because the ingredients change day-to-day, depending on how hungover the cleaning crew was the night before.

So, where do they say they 'Endorse' it? :dismay:

I thought mystery meat was what they put is sausages, hot dogs and Spam.

It's when they try to sneak, or pass off the less appealing cuts as prime that I have a problem.

What I object to is that some hit & run PETAphile has been allowed to smear the meat industry with the pejorative 'pink slime'. :squid: Treated beef greater lowers the chances of salmonella, and that, of course, is a good thing. I have no objection to it. Better living through chemistry. :th:

The government also endorsed it.

Do you have a problem with that?

A while (20 years) ago I was offered an investment in a meat processing business the would supply product to the major burger chains.

The business involved specialized abattoir equipment looking much like those whirling car wash brushes, but which spun high speed rubber fingers up and down the skeletons and bones of slaughtered beef carcases.

What was pulled off the carcases and bones resembled whipped pink butter, which was then formed and frozen in blocks.

It then would be sold to other meat processing houses and burger chains where it would be mixed with minced beef prior to forming the mix into patties. It is an excellent binder, allowing the processors and burger chains to claim 100% beef in their burgers.

Debatable, but there it is.

The government also endorsed it.

Do you have a problem with that?

I do, because that means people will eat it. Who really knows how this stuff will be mixed with other meats, especially in prepared foods and most probably in fast food restaurants who are always looking to save a buck.

It is really disgusting that a major news network did not point out the obvious regarding "pink slime". This is the same product, i.e. "trimmings" that used to make up canned pet food.

Shorter, if you eat this you are eating garbage. Literally -- garbage that's been "cleaned up" with ammonia and sold mixed with ground beef, shrink wrapped for convenience at our local supermarket.

I do, because that means people will eat it. Who really knows how this stuff will be mixed with other meats, especially in prepared foods and most probably in fast food restaurants who are always looking to save a buck.

It is really disgusting that a major news network did not point out the obvious regarding "pink slime". This is the same product, i.e. "trimmings" that used to make up canned pet food.

Shorter, if you eat this you are eating garbage. Literally -- garbage that's been "cleaned up" with ammonia and sold mixed with ground beef, shrink wrapped for convenience at our local supermarket.

people will eat it because the federal government approves of it?

We know. We have been eating it a long time. It is not a new product. If you have bought lean ground beef at your grocery store you most likely have bought (and, I presume, eaten) pink slime in it.

I've eaten Scrapple. I like Scrapple. Consequently, Pink Slime does not concern me.

(ps. If Pink Slime is a concern, don't eat hot dogs. The "parts" in a hot dog are unrecognizable. It gets ground into a paste and mixed with spices and smoke flavoring. Gets extruded into plastic sleeves. Gets cooked enough to solidify that paste. Plastic sleeves get mechanically removed and the hot dog gets packaged. The hot dogs in natural casing (i.e. washed New Zealande sheep intestine), are slightly more appealing.)

What I object to is that some hit & run PETAphile has been allowed to smear the meat industry with the pejorative 'pink slime'. :squid: Treated beef greater lowers the chances of salmonella, and that, of course, is a good thing. I have no objection to it. Better living through chemistry. :th:

I couldn't have said it better. The second I heard the term "pink slim" I knew some leftie had re-engineered the name. Sorta like the whole abortion issue were each side re-names various procedures to make them sound less or more egregious depending on your own personal agenda.

Yes, the ammonia treated “pink slime” — made from low quality scraps once used for dog food and cooking oil — is less nutritious than pure ground beef.

“It’s not fresh ground beef. It’s a cheap substitute being added in,” microbiologist Gerald Zirnstein said.

Sinewy Stew, yum yum. :shock:

Google "Advanced meat recovery" - there are a number of methods used to recover "meat" from carcases, and the resulting by product is still 100% beef, so are the bones, hooves, skin and horns, but who is quibbling?