Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frenchy1

Super Glaze

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

i have done 50-60 plugs, some tins and some flatfish with it.. used it on my sons fishing rod when i ran out of rod finish. used it on a few other repairs.. it releases bubbles nice, it dries pretty hard and i have noticed i have not had to be as accurate on measurements like rod finish to get a full cure.. it does take a little longer then most rod finishes i have used to cure.. on warmer days summer days.. it is cure hard in 18-24 hrs but on colder days and rainy days it usually takes anywhere from 24-48 hrs.. for plugs i just coat fairly heavy and let plugs hang/drip.. i blow on them and the bubbles pop and wipe the drips for a while.. usually all i do is 1 coat sometimes 2.. i have noticed the hardener starting to yellow in the bottle after it has been opened and sitting the last 8 months... some rod finishes i have used does that also.... it holds up pretty well on the plugs. i fish mainly sandy beach areas but have beat up a few on the rocks.. i have mixed it with both flex coat and classic coat rod finish and it has cured.. also mixed up some with a few drops of denatured to thin and seal some plugs and it cured...

Ghostfish-- or anyone who can answer-

When the hardner starts to yellow is it still good to use? I have a bottle of etex hardner yellowing. I'd hate to have to chuck it.

thanks,

When the hardner starts to yellow is it still good to use? I have a bottle of etex hardner yellowing. I'd hate to have to chuck it.

thanks,

You can still used it, but it may give a slight yellow tinge to white base plugs. I started thinning my older etex with denatured alcohol and using it to heat sealing the wood.

thanks,

I don’t know about the discoloration, but I also have an old bottle, that will get tested on a piece of scrap before any lures.

I have found that after a long time sitting on the shelf the stuff does not cure well….thus I may give this new stuff a try if my current bottle is no good.

Been using Parks for 5 years, the shelf life seems to be about 8-9 months. I keep it in its box when not in use. Still usable on darker plugs, cures fine, but on lighter ones you can see a considerable yellowness after that time. If you coat a white plug and hang it for a few months you can get a nice bone out of it. :) Or like putemback said, I use it as well for epoxy sealing which it still works fine.

I actually planned on and did use it for sealing, and it cured ok. Took a little longer though. Now when thining with dna, are you supposed to mix the epoxy fully first then thin, or mix 3 parts together?

i just mixed it up added dna then mixed it more... i did some with mix 5cc/5cc using the old sitting on shelf discolored bottle over a few gloss white plugs and it did not tint the white very much.. if it did it was not that noticeable... i have put some cured samples out in the sun and it did yellow after a while like most do..