Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
missionbay24

What can I catch from shore in So Cal?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I recently moved Southern California from Hawaii and I am looking forward to checking out the local beaches in search of fish. I have been reading about some of the local fish and I was wondering if Yellowtail are an inshore species? I do not have access to a boat and I was hoping that I would have a chance at hooking a few of them as the water warms. Anyone have any tips? I have a 8.5 ft Lamiglas spinning rod with 10# mono.. it was good for catching trevally (papio) in Hawaii and i'm hoping it'll work for anything in the waters of So Cal. Thanks

Chris 

Well you are going to have the chances of catching a yellowtail from the shore just as much as you would find a needle in the haystack.

From shore you will have the opportunity to catch some of these species, Barred Surf Purch, Corbina, Croakers, Sand Bass, Calico, Ca. Halibut, Shovelnose Shark and species like this. Most Anglers use gear in the 6-10lb range and rods from 7-9ft for these species. Reels in the 1000-4000 range. So what you have is pretty good already.

Most guys throw 1/2oz to 3/4oz carolina rigged curly tail grubs or even use free bait on the beach, Sandcrabs.

If you really want to catch a Yellowtail you are going to have to come with beefier gear and be on a boat. ;)

duhhhhhhh....he can't reply to "PM's" with 2 post. :D

Thanks N.C.K.; I suggest visiting the website that I will "highlight". combine the following " " words & add...dot....com...I went fishing today & got my boat ".add...dot....com...Hope that helps....Mark

we don't send folks to other websites

Man you just moved to the fishing promised land...

Search out this book, it is very old and out of print yet much of it still applies after all these years.

How To Fish the Pacific Coast by Ray Cannon

He covers coastal fishing in SoCal and Baja very well.

Check the library.

If you want to broaden you horizons a bit, get yourself a kayak...

I fish mission bay about 4 times a week. From the surf you want to use a carolina rig with either a MORF grub (motor oil red flake) or CRACK.....Gulp sandworms. Its called crack for a reason...trust me! 3" worms is all you need. From the bay you will kill the spotted bay bass with 3" Big Hammer swimbaits and 3" T&C swimgrubs. Check out the swimgrubs....I fish them about 90% of the time and have caught tons of spotted bay bass, calico bass, sand bass, halibut, yellowfin croaker, and many others on them including a white sea bass from my float tube.

The eel grass is your best friend...texas rigged baits will do great here. Also, work a spinnerbait over the top of the grass and hold on. Spinnerbaits=quality over quantity and you'll know when a spotty hits. Pound for pound spotted bay bass are some if the toughest fish Ive ever caught. A 2 pound spotted bay bass fights harder than a 5 pound largemouth...dont believe me? When you catch your first one you'll see how mean they are when they absolutely tear up your thumb.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

(*edited - please stop promoting your video channel here, you can post/embed your videos, but please do not link to your channel. TimS)

Sorry for promoting my videos....I thought it would help out because it shows the variety of fish species that can be caught from the shore in southern California.

I understand your policy though....I didn't mean anything by it was just trying to help. Ill remember in the future though.

No worries at all :th: You can embed all the videos you want - you can put an unlimited number in one post if you want...you can start a thread for each video and build a discussion around it...the only thing we don't want is folks promoting channels :)

TimS