2 Wrongs don't Make a Right, but...

Rate this topic

tony44

After reading the headlines today about the US soldier who shot up Afghanistan Civilians, I couldn't help noticing an irony.

There is all this clamor to try this guy quickly and execute him, never mind his having suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. Yet this Major Hasan, who shot up Fort Hood while screaming Allahu Akbar, still hasn't stood trial and they are still debating whether he was insane, even with the clear evidence regarding his motive: slay as many Infidels as possible.

So we have a guy in a War Zone who cracks and he must be executed immediately?! But this Muslim Psychiatrist who was Stateside in a nice safe office all day murders 13, wounds 29 of our own guys and they try to argue the poor lad suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome from listening to real Soldiers who had actual battle experience. Two and a half years later they still haven't tried the murderous Bastard!!

Don't forget, as per the current administration Ft. Hood was only "workplace violence", not murder.

That should help clear things up for ya.

Nor does this administration consider the Fort Hood murders 'terrorism'. That should tell you something about Obama's mindset. :kook:

"I think, that all right thinking people, are sick & tired of being told that they're sick & tired of being sick & tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick & tired of being told that I am."

Just a small point, but don't forget that this guy had half of a foot blown off as well - not as significant as the brain injury, but clearly could add to the psychiactric stress this soldier was under.

So this guy had a significant brain injury as well as missing half a foot and the military saw him fit to return to Afghan...anyone see anything wrong with this picture, especially in light of the fact that in non combat situations, they'll throw you on your ass if you tweak your back or come in 10 lbs over weight?

What about his history before he went in ?

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians engaged in fraud during his career as a financial adviser and skipped out paying nearly $1.5 million to an elderly client, according to financial records.

Before joining the military in late 2001, U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of multiple instances of securities fraud. That includes a May 2000 complaint alleging Bales bilked over $600,000 from an elderly Ohio couple's retirement fund, according to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, an independent securities regulator.

"We were taken advantage of," said Gary Liebschner, a former client of Bales. "He took an awful lot of money from us that he turned into commissions for himself."

Liebschner said when photos first began to surface of Bales, he didn't recognize him. But when he saw a high school photo of Bales, he realized the suspect in the Afghanistan killings was his former broker.

Bales served as Liebschner's financial adviser and stockbroker from mid-1998 to late 1999 and defrauded the Ohio senior citizen out of at least $637,000, according to FINRA records.

"He didn't pay any of what was owed to us," said Liebschner.

"[bales'] financial problems have nothing to do with this, PERIOD," said John Henry Browne, Bales' attorney, in an e-mail response to a request for comment about the securities complaints.

The arbitration conducted by FINRA in 2003 found Bales jointly responsible for paying Liebschner $1,490,875 in damages and legal fees, excluding interest, according to the securities regulator's records.

Bales did not appear at the dispute resolution hearing, and Ohio and FINRA records indicate he never paid any of the amount for which he was found liable.

Michael Patterson Inc., the now-shuttered firm that employed Bales, and the firm's founder, Michael Patterson, were also found responsible for paying the award. Both the firm and Patterson never paid any of the restitution either, according to Liebschner. Michael Patterson Inc. was barred from dealing securities in Ohio, according to the state's Commerce Department.

Multiple voice messages left by CNN for Michael Patterson were not returned.

The Securities Investor Protection Corporation, a federally mandated corporation, did award Liebschner a small amount of reparations, he said. SIPC could not disclose any settlement details.

"We were able to get a few thousand dollars from SIPC, nowhere near the arbitration award," said Liebschner. "Not even close."

Liebschner, a lifelong epileptic, was admitted to Ohio State University Hospital in November 1998 for seizures and remained bedridden for six months after his liver failed. It was during that time Liebschner believes Bales swindled him.

"He took advantage of the fact that I was in the hospital, said Liebschner. "I didn't feel I was a dummy. I have two master's degrees. But at the time I couldn't walk, talk, or swallow."

Liebschner said that by the time he returned from the hospital, mail containing the status of his individual retirement account had piled up in a cardboard box his wife, Janet, had set aside. After opening the letters, Liebschner discovered that Bales had sold off his AT&T and Lucent shares, trading them for penny stocks. His account had been reduced to $30,000 from roughly $1 million, Liebschner said.

"He traded away my AT&T shares, probably worth about $75 a share, that I had saved up since the early '60s," said Liebschner, a former AT&T employee.

The Ohio couple was never able to locate Bales after filing their formal complaint against him, making it very difficult to take him to court. Leibschner said his attorney at the time, Earle R. Frost Jr., advised him not to press forward with a criminal case.

"We heard he was in the Bahamas and Florida, and I think he was in a couple different cities here in Ohio," Liebschner said. "He seemed pretty good at the start, but he was pretty flashy, too -- a bit arrogant. He led on like he was a big dealer, and could do just about anything that you wanted him to do."

According to regulatory records, Bales moved around between several different brokerages during his five years as a securities broker, never settling in for long at any of them.

Three years after the Liebschners' complaint was filed, a FINRA arbitrator found that Bales engaged in fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, unauthorized trading, unsuitable investments and churning. The latter occurs when a broker engages in excessive trading of securities in a customer's account primarily to generate commissions that only benefit the broker. He was ordered to pay Liebschner $637,000 as compensatory damages plus interest and another $637,000 in punitive damages.

The arbitrator also found Bales and the company responsible for paying $216,500 in attorneys' fees and a filing fee.

FINRA, which was formerly the National Association of Securities Dealers, is a private, nongovernmental securities regulator.

The U.S. government's regulatory arm is the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Under FINRA rules, the securities regulator can suspend or cancel the registration of a broker or brokerage firm if that party does not comply with an arbitration award. FINRA does not take any further action to recover awards.

FINRA would not disclose whether Bales' broker license was suspended, but Bales was last registered with FINRA in December of 2000, seven months after the Liebschner dispute was filed. He never returned to trading securities, according to FINRA records.

A separate complaint of unauthorized bond trading was filed against Bales by an Ohio woman on June 9, 2000, according to an Ohio Commerce Department report. In the report, Bales claims the illegal trading occurred after he left Michael Patterson Inc.

"I wouldn't have expected him to do that," said Liebschner when asked about the recent murder allegations. "But he is not a good person, in my opinion."

Copyright CNN 2012

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/30743181/detail.html#ixzz1q3C269E0

"All The Worlds A Stooge"

Let's approach this in the most cynical way possible. No commander would have hesitated to send any soldier, including this one, into a situation where where death was possible. In fact, if death of one man was probable and there was no other way out, someone would be going on that mission. Do you really think that to save the other allied troops in Afghanistan it is any more harsh to bring him up on charges in a rush than to send him into the line of fire? We're not yet talking about convicting him, much less sentencing him, just making a big splash by indicting him. The fact that there have been far fewer riots and killings over this than over the accidental Koran burnings says to me that although the Afghans want justice they also realize that sometimes bad things happen to a soldier in wartime for which he is not responsible. As long as we are doing something that the Afghans can accept, he's safer in Levenworth than he would be on the line and the rest of the troops are safer because he's taking the bad PR. [A true cynic would say we really don't care who was picked, we just needed a quick scapegoat.]

This is not to prejudge him, this is not to either convict or excuse him. But let's not assume he's going to be railroaded just because there is a lot of publicity over this.

I think the military should have been evaluating all servicemen who have been deployed since 2001. Multiple tours, battles, away from family, etc. I would have certainly cracked. Maybe they are evaluated periodiclly ? I don't know, but it would seem a good idea so we don't see more of this and maybe help those who wind up with PTSD before it grabs hold.

"All The Worlds A Stooge"

I see the kooks have come out to politicize the latest incident.

I'm glad you have all the time in the world to piss and moan yet you probably haven't lifted a ******* finger to help the guys who need help.

So tony44, how many times have you gone to for the WW/Soldier Ride events?

Except for this past summer between my gf and I, we've been to ALL OF THEM on the East End.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I'm glad you have all the time in the world to piss and moan yet you probably haven't lifted a ******* finger to help the guys who need help.

Except for this past summer between my gf and I, we've been to ALL OF THEM on the East End.

And the PG Humanitarian Award goes to.............

So only you are allowed to have an opinion on the matter?

You are so special. Although I usually don't brag about these things but now that you've asked....I've hosted many meals at my firehouse in NYC for wounded vets as well as fund raisers for the Wounded Warriors Project. I also work as a volunteer at a State run Veterans Hospital. Now don't you feel like the self-righteous A-hole that you are? Congratulations on the rides, by the way.

You are so special. Although I usually don't brag about these things but now that you've asked....I've hosted many meals at my firehouse in NYC for wounded vets as well as fund raisers for the Wounded Warriors Project. I also work as a volunteer at a State run Veterans Hospital. Now don't you feel like the self-righteous A-hole that you are? Congratulations on the rides, by the way.

BTW - I've also worked countless hours in the rescue and recovery at the WTC as a NYC fireman. Don't tell me I haven't lifted a finger. I've seen more s&*t there than you'll ever see riding your bike past the vineyards of Long Island. You got some set of balls.