Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmxfour

Kitchenaid Refrigerator - French Doors

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My french door refrig is 18 months old. Recently ice is forming in the bottom section of the freezer compartment. I turned the ice maker off and the next morning a layer of ice was on the bottom of the freezer compartment. Now I turned off the water supply to see if this was causing a problem. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT WILL CAUSE ICING PROBLEMS?

Help..........Joe

door or drawer not closing properly or damaged gasket will cause ice to form in places it shouldn't.

other thing could be a blockage in the drain tube.

My experience with gasket/door closing problems is that you see ice crystals growing on surfaces near the opening (lots of ice crystals/whisker on stuff near the gasket). I'll second the drain tube blockage idea. We have a standup freezer that used to have drain tube blockage problems and we would get sheets of ice on the bottom of the compartment. I just had a look inside my french door fridge/freezer (Samsung) and couldn't see the drain (must be hidden behind some plastic), so you may have to poke around a little.

Thanks guys for your comments. Finally found the cause. A defective water filter that had a minor leak. I installed a new filter now everything is fine.........Thanks