Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Winter Flounder Pounder Reports 2012

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Pfft.

This would be a perfect example of fishing management hurting industry.

I own a boat and had a slip.

I used to be the first rec boat in the marina, so I can fish the flounder open. I did this for years.

Flounder season provided imputes to get going, a well needed nudge to start the season.

Since the change in regulation I went in later, if at all.

This year, no slip, and am selling the boat.

Granted, other life factors influence the decision, but in large part is comes down to, for ME, flounder.

How do you justsify spending around $45 for the boat fare,$7 a dozen for worms,food,gas and possibly tolls for 2 flounder? Believe me I love flounder fishing and used to pin hook them from 90-97 but eventually the fishery collapsed. Between all the commercial guys I fished with we all had our opinions why it fell apart. Hopefully through better management maybe one day they will make a rebound like cod. I just can't see spending that kind of money. I was also one of those guys who had his boat in the water in Feb. and remembering nailing 22 on Feb.6th one year. All that has changed now and I also sold my boat.

How do you justsify spending around $45 for the boat fare,$7 a dozen for worms,food,gas and possibly tolls for 2 flounder? Believe me I love flounder fishing and used to pin hook them from 90-97 but eventually the fishery collapsed. Between all the commercial guys I fished with we all had our opinions why it fell apart. Hopefully through better management maybe one day they will make a rebound like cod. I just can't see spending that kind of money. I was also one of those guys who had his boat in the water in Feb. and remembering nailing 22 on Feb.6th one year. All that has changed now and I also sold my boat.

FYI, cod is in the crapper (in the GOM at least)...

I haven't fished there but there has been a huge resurgence around Block Island and Montauk waters giving us a viable winter fishery and putting alot of money in boats that would otherwise be tied to the dock!

Good Lord, in years past March and April this forum was rockin' and rollin' with flounder threads, reports, Patrick's.

Now, nada, zippo, zilch.

Sad, really.

And sightings of Suntzu the flounder slayer. My chum pot sits in the corner of the basement. I miss it too :(

Good Lord, in years past March and April this forum was rockin' and rollin' with flounder threads, reports, Patrick's.

Now, nada, zippo, zilch.

Sad, really.

What? My telling you what I ate for lunch isn't enough? Are you not entertained?

We appreciate you carrying the torch, but this forum is a shell of its former self.

There was a time when this forum outpaced the tavern for Lolz and such. And we fished too.

Sad that I now speak in terms of yesteryear and look at Mickraz as a respected elder. Cause I'm not that old. :)

We appreciate you carrying the torch, but this forum is a shell of its former self.

There was a time when this forum outpaced the tavern for Lolz and such. And we fished too.

Sad that I now speak in terms of yesteryear and look at Mickraz as a respected elder. Cause I'm not that old. :)

See, I'm sitting here minding my own business, and I get dragged into a post about flounder...now thats not a bad thing, but then I'm called a respected elder. Now that in itself isn't a bad thing either but I'm thinking that KoQ threw in the "respected" part as to not hurt my very sensitive feelings.

Why, just today, I was purchasing a fine salami sandwich at a nice Italian deli and flirting with a mom and her daughter, who was 18 yrs old. When I told her that I had a 36 yr old daughter she said "oh my, you don't look like you are much older that I am". Of course I next inquired about her age, which was 41. Do you see where this is going? Can we all say ****? So say what you may about the respected elder. ;)

See, I'm sitting here minding my own business, and I get dragged into a post about flounder...now thats not a bad thing, but then I'm called a respected elder. Now that in itself isn't a bad thing either but I'm thinking that KoQ threw in the "respected" part as to not hurt my very sensitive feelings.

Why, just today, I was purchasing a fine salami sandwich at a nice Italian deli and flirting with a mom and her daughter, who was 18 yrs old. When I told her that I had a 36 yr old daughter she said "oh my, you don't look like you are much older that I am". Of course I next inquired about her age, which was 41. Do you see where this is going? Can we all say ****? So say what you may about the respected elder. ;)

And what was the name of her seeing eye dog?

I strongly agree with most of this. I'm kind of "meh" on the "respected" part.