Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nalo1022

Opionions on guide sizing?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone here is my deal. I needed to replace a few guides on my rod, and after some thought and reading have decided to convert it to a casting setup. Looking for some opinions on guide sizing.

here is what I'm dealing with

-Okuma Longitude 10' 2 piece, graphite composite, line 20-40, lure 3-8, fast action stripped to the blank

-Will be paired with an Abu 7000 and used for bait fishing from beach

-20lb mono mainline 50lb shock leader

I plan on using the Fuji BSVOG Aluminum Oxide general Purpose Rings as they are whats already on there, and I plan to reuse a couple guides. This is the sizing I was thinking of going with 25-20-16-12-12-12-12-tip 12 because I need to pas the shock leader knot through the guides. I have a 30 on hand so I can play around with the sizing a bit. The tip is currently an 8 and is too small, so I plan on bumping that up. Any tips, insight, etc is greatly appreciated. This warm weather has me itching to hit the surf, so i want to get this tested wrapped and finished asap lol.

I have a 30 on hand now and you are right it does look to be better fit. My main concern is with the running guides. Most recommendations seemed to be for people using braid when recommending 10s and 8s. If the 12s are a bit big will there be any real detriment?