Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mp10s

llbean waders

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I have been looking for some new waders and took a look at llbeans emergers

My question is, boots or stocking foot which lasts longer and what do you recommend

in any type of waders.

If stocking foot what do you wear with them?

I always had boots and they always leaked

thanks

Mike P

i have a pair that i bought about 2 years ago from LL Bean. They are stocking foot. Love'em. I prefer the stocking foot now. After years of boot foot, i got frustrated with them. Grant it, i only use them about 6 times a year. I wear a pair of boots over them that i couldn't even tell you the brand. I bought them from a fly shop that went out of business here in Jersey. Didn't even ask who made them or anything. The deal i got was too good to be picky, ya know?..lol I've had a lot of other brands and got sick of buying a pair every year or 2. LL Bean has a great "Customer Satisfaction" policy too.

Just my $0.02

I have a pair of Emerger for about 5 years now.They are stocking foot and I wear a pair of oversize sneakers with them.Works well on the flats and surf.I also wear them on the jetty with Korkers.I havent had bootfoot waders in about 40 years.The stockingfoot are much more comfortable and easier to walk in.You cant go wrong with LLBean.

My question is, boots or stocking foot which lasts longer and what do you recommend

in any type of waders.

If stocking foot what do you wear with them?

I think in any given wader, leaks are inevitable regardless of the design. When they'll leak depends on how much you use them, how hard you use them, and how you care for them.

I currently own three pairs of waders. One is a 5 mil neoprene bootfoot (Cabelas) for cold waters. I cannot do water temps in the low 30s with stocking feet. I like them a lot.

The second is a breathable boot foot LLBean Emerger for warmer temps and specifically the salt (no sand in my shoes with bootfoot waders). I also like these waders.

The last pair is my Simms (I think) G3 breathable stocking foot waders. The waders are great...about 4 years old now and still going strong. I have had to patch some pinholes every spring, but I wear those waders hard. I wear them with the Simms Guide Boot which I hate. I have yet to find the proper stud configuration on those boots that will prevent me from slipping and sliding all over the bottom. On the plus side, the support is great, but even with studs they are a very treacherous wade.

I would much rather hike and negotiate rocky terrain in stocking foots, only place for boot foot for me is fishing the beach, stocking feet fill up with sand no matter what you do. So it would depend where u do most of your fishing.