Any Tog reports?

Rate this topic

PJ

Usually I'm a big fan of sashimi, but raw fluke is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It's just got this intolerable metallic after taste. Only tried it once, and this was when it was literally minutes out of the water, so it was as fresh as possible. Definitely not a fan of it, but I know a lot of people that really like it. To each his own.

Interesting. I think raw fluke is the bomb! :th: Second only to raw bft and raw sea bass..

The Sultan of Sluggo

I gave it a good hour and a half the on Wednesday and no tog. Although I caught a few of these critters. Was considering taking them home to throw on the grill since they were close to a foot long, then decided it would be too much work for little reward.450

I gave it a good hour and a half the on Wednesday and no tog. Although I caught a few of these critters. Was considering taking them home to throw on the grill since they were close to a foot long, then decided it would be too much work for little reward.450

That's a choggie. Hide like leather, vicious looking teeth. But my grandmother said they are the whitest, sweetest tasting fish she ever ate.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I have caught them up to 18 inches cod fishing near block island. I have made fish chowder with them and it came out awesome. Very white firm meat well the larger ones. Never really messed with the small ones. I have caught them in the canal smashed them between rocks and threw them in my lobster trap. They work pretty good for lobsters until they get old.

I have caught them up to 18 inches cod fishing near block island. I have made fish chowder with them and it came out awesome. Very white firm meat well the larger ones. Never really messed with the small ones. I have caught them in the canal smashed them between rocks and threw them in my lobster trap. They work pretty good for lobsters until they get old.

They are excellent lobster bait. Back in the day, old time lobstermen built 'choggie traps' just for the sole purpose of obtaining them as bait.

My Dad and I used to catch some pretty big one as well, back in the 60s when fishing for cod and togs. My grandmother didn't want to see get thrown back. ;) As I mentioned, she said it was the best fish she ever ate.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Tautog are the only fish that I target to eat. when fresh my wife usually makes a nice fish and chip meal. If they go in the freezer I make chowder with them at a later date.Any traditional chowder recipe works,but the clincher is to add a small bottle of clam juice, unbelievable difference.

Tog holds up well in a spicy seafood stew I used to have a great recipe for Portuguese stew -all the shellfish you can find, any fish that will hold up, crushed tomato, red wine, vinegar, hot sauce and potato cubes Stinks up the whole house, but tastes great with cold beer!

There are no fish in the Canal. In fact, there is no Canal.