Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PJ

Any Tog reports?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Just looking for general info to see if there has been any reports of catches. I know there is the old saying- 'When Dandys bloom..' But seeing that things are at least a month early I thought someone would have given it a try.

Thanks!

nice, i'm interested too.. I have vowed this year to get the boat set up early, and head down for a tog trip a some point. I haven't fished for tog since I was a kid in Long Island Sound (new haven harbor). would love to catch a rock donkey again. 

These days I only fish for tautog in the fall, but in the days that I used to target them in spring i would be surprised some years just how early they would be around. Thing is, don't wait until you hear 'tautog are in' from the bait shop or other people, sometimes I would be getting them for 2 weeks before word was out.It usually is smaller fish that move in first,then one day the big ones will be there. If you have a choice of days to fish, try avoid a continued period of north or northwest winds, the bite usually picks up after a few days of SW wind. In this scientific,electronic,gadget loaded world,and fishing gear world, after many years observing,I will take the humble dandelion to tell me when the tautog fishing is really at it's best.There has got to be some relationship between the flowers bloom,the ground temperature,water temp and spawning instinct of the fish for them to move in, a good food supply also helps.

There still are a few spots around where togs can be easy had from shore. Esp when green crabs are used as bait. ;)

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I've never warmed up to togs? Fun to catch, but just not wild about eating them. Do you guys really like eating them as well?

I like Tog better than striper! One of my favorite eating fish.

Togs are great eating! And fun to catch, but to me all fish are good as long as you prepare it right!

Raw is ok. It's not like striper, fluke or seabass where it actually has a nice clean flavor. Texture is a bit tough too. Try not to get any of the slime on the meat and it should turn out ok.

Raw is ok. It's not like striper, fluke or seabass where it actually has a nice clean flavor. Texture is a bit tough too. Try not to get any of the slime on the meat and it should turn out ok.

Usually I'm a big fan of sashimi, but raw fluke is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It's just got this intolerable metallic after taste. Only tried it once, and this was when it was literally minutes out of the water, so it was as fresh as possible. Definitely not a fan of it, but I know a lot of people that really like it. To each his own.