Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfmanTX

Harrington 552 Question and Request

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I picked up a beat up Harrington 552 last weekend and I stripped it down and did not find a Harrington/Harnell sticker on it. I am having a hard time figuring out if it is actually a Harrington or not. I posted in the Main Forum and got some good info but I wanted to look into it a bit more.

Does anyone have a picture of the butt end of a 552 blank? I want to compare it against the picture of mine and look at the wall thickness. If it is not real then it is not worth me getting it wrapped again. I will just take the loss and chalk it up to experience.

[img=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/Person_tx/552/March19120.jpg]

Thanks,

SurfmanTX

Well, it should be painfully obvious the moment you pick the blak up if it's a true harrington/harnell or not. If you can't tell though, bow it up and find the spline as these rods generally always have one. Then put pressure on the bottom half of the rod. It should bend quite a bit, as they are the slowest tapering rods there is, next to solid glass. The tip sie on a 552 full length 10 foot, is an 18. And I believe it has a 1" butt section. The wall's thickness look fine but the only concerning thing is the woven look of it in the butt.

It shouldnt be whether or not you have the "real" rod however, it should be more so that you like the way it flexes. I wouldn't buy rod if it had a harrington sticker but bowed like a seeker, because I don't fish them for the name, but solely because it bows in the bottom half of the rod.

(I'm actually building a 552 right this minute, loading it with 10 Fuji SiC Triplefoots in gold, building it for a pier tarpon rod.)