Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buz23

What is the deal in shipping long one piece rods or blanks??

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just received two 10' blanks (OK, one was only 9'11") from a well known outfit. They only charged me one charge for shipping the rods and it was less than $20. They came Fedex in about 2 days.

What's the deal? Some places won't ship over 9' without outrageous charges. Fedex itself says they can turn down packages of 119" or more. But here came two blanks in a 10' package for less than $20 in 2 days. Can anyone explain this?

I just received two 10' blanks (OK, one was only 9'11") from a well known outfit. They only charged me one charge for shipping the rods and it was less than $20. They came Fedex in about 2 days.

What's the deal? Some places won't ship over 9' without outrageous charges. Fedex itself says they can turn down packages of 119" or less. But here came two blanks in a 10' package for less than $20 in 2 days. Can anyone explain this?

it cost me/the buyer almost 80 to ship a 10ft rod via fed ex, 20$ to ship two rods that long, sweet price,

When Mudhole came out with the MXH surf blanks, I figured that they, like everyone else, wouldn't offer one-piece models any longer than 9 feet, or that maybe they'd even do what Batson has done, and make their 9-footers 8'10", so that the blank could be shipped in a tube that was just shy of nine feet in total length. So I was surprised, and pleased, to see that the MXH surf blanks have one-piece models up to 9'11", with the blanks 10 feet and longer available only in multi-piece models.

I don't know why 9 feet is the cutoff point, but it's always been the magic number for shipping blanks. You can ship a tube 8 feet, 11 inches long for just a few bucks; one 9 1/2 or 10 feet long has always cost $50 or more. Mudhole obviously has found a carrier willing to charge reasonable shipping fees for stuff up to 10 feet long -- did you notice what carrier delivered your blank?

As stated in my thread starter, the blanks came via Fedex. Note that Mudhole advertises a $19.50 charge for shipping blanks up to 11.5 feet!!! Over that, the price explodes to $150.

ahhh.... the benefits of shipping accounts, and contracts with carriers.... ;)

most of the cost associated is how the packages 'fit' on the planes that fly to the major hubs... has nothing to do with the 'first or last mile'... ie the trucks that deliver them.

...lets highjack the thread... how are the 9'11" blanks :D

The blank I am going to build is a MHX 1197 (1-3oz, 9'11"). It is very light, very straight. The guides and reel seat haven't gotten here yet. Seems similar to my lami SSU blanks, only a lot cheaper, but time will tell when I put the rod together (NCG, BKWAG train starting with 30L and ending with 6 8's and a 10 tip top). I keep reading about the single foot guides but don't quite trust them or care for the look. Like many here I wish they had a high framed KW guide in the 20 size, I am not sure about starting with a 30L but I've built rods with a similar train only BMNAG and they are just fine.

The second blank I purchased (free shipping and handling, so why not buy now and build later) was a GSB120L1. Also very straight, a bit heavier. I've heard that it's slower action, which is what I don't have with my SSU's. It should be a lot better for pencils and larger lures than what I throw with the lighter rods (mostly bombers). It's a future project.

They have a contract with the shipper and get a good rate most likely due to the volume they ship! Buisness to Buisness is that much either but to a home address you pay!! I have blanks shipped all the time from out west and the average is about $130. Now the funny thing is.. the blank was shipped for say $20 but order a guide set and reel seat it'll cost you $12 in shipping!!