Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Having a reel spooled at the shop.

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I would like to bring my reel to have spooled at the shop once my line comes in the mail. Problem is, the reel is taped to my rod. Do you guys know if I could just bring the spool with me and leave the reel home?

Thanks!

Let me get this right....you're going to bring a spool of line that you bought on-line to a brick and mortar tackle shop and ask them to spool your reel for you..is that the gist of it???? What's in it for the tackle shop owner? Just asking. I personally wouldn't do it. If you've done it all these years, what is preventing you from doing it now?

Let me get this right....you're going to bring a spool of line that you bought on-line to a brick and mortar tackle shop and ask them to spool your reel for you..is that the gist of it???? What's in it for the tackle shop owner? Just asking. I personally wouldn't do it. If you've done it all these years, what is preventing you from doing it now?

Why wouldn't I bring it? I had a gift card and bought the line with it online.

I would think they would charge me something. I have no problem paying them for their services.

I just feel it could be done better than I have done it in the past with my wife holding a pencil. :D

please, enlighten us.

Depends on the shop and the guy doing it....

One particular shop I know of (great shop btw) has on several occasions wound the line too tight on friends spools and after one or two cast the thing blew up on them (windknots and birdsnest up the ass). Im sure other shops do it right by working those machines but ive been spooling my reels myself since im a kid because im anal and I actually enjoy it

One particular shop I know of (great shop btw) has on several occasions wound the line too tight on friends spools and after one or two cast the thing blew up on them (windknots and birdsnest up the ass). Im sure other shops do it right by working those machines but ive been spooling my reels myself since im a kid because im anal and I actually enjoy it

Line being too tight does not cause wind knots, they are cause by overloading. A simple fix, remove some line.

Line being too tight does not cause wind knots, they are cause by overloading. A simple fix, remove some line.

Not arguing that at all I agree 100%. What I was saying with these spool machines is they lay the line so tight on the spool it digs into each other and looks like there is a lot less line on the spool than there actually is. After being spooled there may well be 1/8 of an inch of line away from the lip of the spool but after a cast or two when the line is layed back down properly its is no longer 1/8 of an inch and thats when windknots happen. Just my preference but i sat away from those machines

Not arguing that at all I agree 100%. What I was saying with these spool machines is they lay the line so tight on the spool it digs into each other and looks like there is a lot less line on the spool than there actually is. After being spooled there may well be 1/8 of an inch of line away from the lip of the spool but after a cast or two when the line is layed back down properly its is no longer 1/8 of an inch and thats when windknots happen. Just my preference but i sat away from those machines

Yup. That's why I do it myself. They always seem to put the line on with too much tension. Also the braid that is closer to the spool starts to shift and really dig in under further tension.

please, enlighten us.

Generally they put way too much line on, you end up throwing it away and it cuts into your actual fishing time. I don't use braid but if they overfill your spool it is costly. I just think, from my personal experience that if you crank it on yourself, tightly, in the natural lay of the line by the roller is the best way to do it. Most things, if you want to do it right, you have to do it yourself.

Bob,

Let me guess

Don't want to see the hourglass on the VS spool?

Take your time and hand wind the center of the spool at 1/4, 1/2, again and again until full.

Use a drill to unspool and crank the line back until you get it right, takes time but its worth it.