Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

If asprin was discovered today

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The lowly asprin tablet. It's been around for decades. Cost.....but a few pennies.

First it reduced the risk a heart disease if taken daily.

Now, even a bigger news flash. It not only reduces the risks of certain cancers, but if taken daily, it prevents certain cancers from spreading! All this, for just a couple pennies a day.

 

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say asprin was a brand new medicine. The latest wonder drug.

Given all it's newly discovered benefits, and if the pharmasutical companies had their way, and before the patents expired, what might the lowly asprin cost in today's market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly wouldn't be penny's a day, but if you were to look at a recent discovery such as Viagra for example. The first pill out of the shoot, such as Viagra captures 75% of the market share, the other brands fight for the 25% for the first couple of years. Before Viagra was even released, after it jumped thru the hoops of the FDA, which can take a few years, there was 100 of millions of $$$ used in R and D,10s of million on go to market. I know this from having research a case study on Viagra a few years ago.

 

I have no idea how much per pill Viagra is ( and hopefully not have to soon ). But based on your original question, the attributes of aspirin and worldwide appeal I would not think it would be any more than the price of Viagra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering that it would cost a billion and a half to two billion dollars to get FDA approvals for use in the areas of pain, cardiac care and cancer, I imagine it would not be cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, with all the bleeding issues with aspirin it has been said it would have a hard time passing FDA muster and getting approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plus, with all the bleeding issues with aspirin it has been said it would have a hard time passing FDA muster and getting approved.

 

Pretty much impossible, actually because of the liver issues associated with it, I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.