Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeneralSwimBait

Who else is Going for the Cup?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Striper Cup that is! I'm in there my first time ever entering so we'll see I plan on trying to put in some serious hours in day, evening and night bite patrols are on my agenda for the 2012 season. I have the right stuff to get the job done so why not capitalize on trying my hardest to reel in some mega bass this summer. I know it's probably a long shot but hey the sign up package was PRETTY decent if you u feel me. Free sebile and some line I'm in there. Matter of fact i casted off a $32 sebile last year and now i got a somilar one back just for entering. And not to mention i could win a boat or even a VS would be money in the bank.. I know I'm not the only one around doing it so don't get mad at me if I'm on your rock one morning when you decide to fish that spot, because I'm not giving it up keep pedaling!! I fish where i want and that's anywhere the fish are!!:p

I see this thread going places. Some will go left, and some will go right, but it's going places.

I hate this tournament. Nothing like taking and killing big bass for a boat. If this was a CnR tourny I would be all for it but I am against this 101%

I hate this tournament. Nothing like taking and killing big bass for a boat. If this was a CnR tourny I would be all for it but I am against this 101%

Here's where the thread starts going places. :D I don't like the Striper Cup either. Days of tournament fishing are long over IMO. Did the Schaefer Cup years ago, but we knew a lot less then about fisheries management. And that's not to say I think they know what they're doing now, there's just a lot more awareness to the needs of conservation.

.........I don't like the Striper Cup either. Days of tournament fishing are long over IMO. .....

More than a few folks wish that were so, however I know of at least five tournaments that will be held in the upper cape region this season, excluding The Cup tournament.

More than a few folks wish that were so, however I know of at least five tournaments that will be held in the upper cape region this season, excluding The Cup tournament.

I am against all of these,thats all i am saying.

Same old story...guy's who used to fish tournament's now frowning upon others who do so now. So everyone back then thought you could just take as many fish as possible and incur no harm to the fishery? Sounds pretty naive to me. IMO, it's kind of tough to talk down to people when some of you have done the same in the past....and in many cases far worse. There seemed to have been a few voices preaching the striper demise back then only to have their opinions scoffed upon by "old salts". Just curious, if I kept one big fish all year to weigh in for this tourney, would I still be having a "negative" impact upon the fishery? Would it be better if I didn't enter and kept five 30 pounder's throughout the year? Seem's a bit ridiculous, especially when all of us "rec's" should be demanding a 1 fish daily limit.

Here's where the thread starts going places. :D I don't like the Striper Cup either. Days of tournament fishing are long over IMO. Did the Schaefer Cup years ago, but we knew a lot less then about fisheries management. And that's not to say I think they know what they're doing now, there's just a lot more awareness to the needs of conservation.

1971 was the Silver Anniversary of the Schaefer Tournament. That year, at the age of 18, I won the Most Valuable Angler award, and also won the award for the largest bass caught in the state of Maine that year.

Same old story...guy's who used to fish tournament's now frowning upon others who do so now. So everyone back then thought you could just take as many fish as possible and incur no harm to the fishery? Sounds pretty naive to me. IMO, it's kind of tough to talk down to people when some of you have done the same in the past....and in many cases far worse. There seemed to have been a few voices preaching the striper demise back then only to have their opinions scoffed upon by "old salts". Just curious, if I kept one big fish all year to weigh in for this tourney, would I still be having a "negative" impact upon the fishery? Would it be better if I didn't enter and kept five 30 pounder's throughout the year? Seem's a bit ridiculous, especially when all of us "rec's" should be demanding a 1 fish daily limit.

So, applying this logic, because I used to weigh 235 pounds and sit on my ass all day, I can't urge my overweight friends to lose weight and exercise, before they develop diabetes or coronary disease?

Or if I smoked two packs a day and quit, I couldn't go out and educate people about the bad effects that smoking has on one's health?

Because I once fished commercially, and entered this tournament for a few years, I can't now express my opinion that I'm opposed to it and urge people not to enter it.

Gotcha. :squid:

Movie Butter or Smart Pop?

Heating up the oil now. I prefer to cook it on the stove rather than the microwave.

All I will say is that I am not a fan of big kill tournaments.

I don't frown on anyone doing what's within the law. You want to fish the cup? Go right ahead. I just gave my opinion. We're all allowed an opinion right? All I'm saying is that there's much more awareness to the conservation needs than we had back in the day. Forget about tournaments, IMO all the regulations need to change.

Ditch Jigger put it in better perspective.