Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DerrickT

Structure, Structure, Structure

7 posts in this topic

Its where the bass hang. Since my lake is empty I decided to take a few shots of the area's where we would catch bass. Gonna be a long time till its restored to what it has been the last 3 years. If it even gets restored to that point. It took close to 15 to 17 years to get it to where it was the last few years and a large part of that was the effort of the local BASS chapter. Some of the photos you can see the cribs and stuff but I took some pictures of other areas that produced very well. From what I can tell from other maps the creek bed today is pretty much exactly where it was when the lake was built back in the late 60's.

This is from the top of the dam looking back into the lake. On the right side of the picture you can see the pine trees on the edge of teh picture. Just below that is a huge stone bed. It drops down to 12 feet there before you hit the mud. In the morning the fish would be eating up top then as it got warm they would drop down along that stone bed and hang there all day long. Useally a pita to fish becuase of the way the wind would whip around back there and its a corner of a cove.

[img=

Overhangs provide great cover for unexpected food swimming by. This lake had plenty of that. Some like the picture below, others where massive trees and bushes. But they all serve the same purpose. You could pretty much guarantee a bass out of everyone of these overhangs. This is why the spidergrubs I use work so well.

p><p>  <a href=[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296257/width/600/height/450]

[img=

Man made structure helps to. Last spring they cut a hole bunch of trees down around the lake and tied them back with cable so they couldn't slide into the lake. Also helps the local wildlife with there site seeing tours :laugh:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296337/width/600/height/450]

[img=

This is actually a natural rock formation out in front of the tree above. Actually never knew it was there.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296433/width/600/height/450]

This area was full of 5 to 6 inch crappie last spring. 2 nights in a row I took the kid up and he hooked over 50 each night on a trout spinner. Everybody was catching them to. In the week they hung around I'd venture to say the kid caught well over 200. After seeing all the cribs there I can understand why they hung around so long. There use to be a boat dock that extended out just past that stone beach so you had no problem reaching the area of the cribs. 8 feet deep I believe in that area but the crappie would feed on the service in the evening.

[img=

This photo here you can see across the lake of the amount of trees laying down that use to be under water just below the overhangs.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296466/width/600/height/450]

You can see the man made structure in this picture, mostly at teh bottom of the stone banks. This structure helps keep the bass in the area, and then in the evening they don't have far to go to feed. This was also a very good area.

[img=

I'd venture a guess that all the way around this lake from the shore out 20 to 30 feet was all rock bottom, then you hit mud when it would flatten. Perfect bottom for spawning IMO. I was told this lake was one of the best northern pike and walleye fisheries back in the 70's. They've tried to reintroduce walleye but they don't survive. Walleye also like a nice gravel bottom for spawning, this lake really don't have gravel bottom. They also stocked a few tiger musky in the spillway and the lake itself and not one was captured. As a matter of fact there was no fish in the spillway when they pumped it out which is odd becuase the spillway itself use to be a great area and just as recent as 2 years ago had tiger musky in it as well as a flathead that would have broke the state record. He was the lone survivor when the lake was drained in the 90's and relocated to the spillway so he would live.

Here are a couple more as they continue to keep the lake drawn down. Breaching of the dam began Tuesday morning.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296562/width/600/height/450]

This is a device they put in in front of the drain to keep it from getting clogged.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3296573/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

As the lake dries out and I can get to some more spots I'll have more pictures. But that in a nutshell is where you are going to find fish. I pretty much had that lake nailed down to the exact time of where the fish would be.

I am truly sorry for your loss.....Why did they drain the lake??? Eutrophication doesn't seem to be bad at all.....

I am truly sorry for your loss.....Why did they drain the lake??? Eutrophication doesn't seem to be bad at all.....

Remember all that rain we got last September? :laugh:

The lake ended up being 7 feet above normal. They actually had somebody up there thru the whole couple days of rain monitoring the spillway. About a month after they discovered a hole at the bottom of the dam so they ordered an immediate draw down to check for damage. Then they found a spot above the spillway in the lake bed where it washed out enough of the lake bed to undermine the spillway. I saw the hole, about 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. Further test showed that where this whole blew thru the concrete was actually a foot deep behind the concrete where there was no dirt, and 2 of the slabs of concrete actually buckled enough to bend the re bar in the concrete. So with 80 house in the flood plain below the dam they just decided it would be a good idea to drain it. They pulled 74,000 fish out and relocated them.

The lake was already 1 of 17 that had a spillway that was 2 small for the lake as per a study done by the Army Corps of Engineers after Hurricane Katrina hit. So sooner or later it was going to have to be drained and teh dam redone.

Problem is the Pa Fish and Boat Commission don't have the money, but when 93% of your license sales goes to paying salaries I can understand why.

Here is a presentation they did in November to the area residents.

http://fishandboat.com/dams/lakes/speedwell_meet_2011.pdf

You'll be surprised how quckly that lake will recover, particulaly if it is left drawn down long enough for some vegetation to grow over the lake bed.

You'll be surprised how quckly that lake will recover, particulaly if it is left drawn down long enough for some vegetation to grow over the lake bed.

The lake was drawn down in the 90's becuase of a hole someplace they couldnt find. Nothing survived. It took close to 12 years to be a decent lake again. From the time they get enough funding to fix the spillway it will be a 4 year project to fix it. Once it is fixed and refilled depending on what time of year it is they will stock sunfish first, the next year will be bass and catfish. Another 5 to 6 years for the population to establish itself.

So I am guessing about 3-5 years for funding, another 4 to complete. Realisticaly I don't expect the lake to be refilled in less then 10 years, add fish we are at 11 and 12 years, another couple to become decent again. Pretty much right in line the last time the lake was drained.

Cool pictures Derrick...  the pictures of the overhangs tell me why a certain place at my lake is so good.  I would love to have as clear of a picture what the structure and topography of my lake looks like,  without having it drained of course rolleyes.gif.   So where do you plan on fishing this year?  what's closest to you? 

Cool pictures Derrick...  the pictures of the overhangs tell me why a certain place at my lake is so good.  I would love to have as clear of a picture what the structure and topography of my lake looks like,  without having it drained of course :rolleyes: .   So where do you plan on fishing this year?  what's closest to you? 

I believe Hibernia is pretty close, then your lake. With gas prices soaring though its gonna be tough to fish them like I did Speedwell. Also have Middle Creek up here but that lake gets so polluted with goose **** I dunno if I wanna fish it. Other problem is a good part of that lake is shallow. It does have structure but if its windy trying to fish it is going to be tough. Bass that I have seen caught there are decent size. Don't think it has the population like Speedwell had. Also have Octorara which is about a 45 mintues drive.

Basically any place I have left to fish is a 45 min to an hour drive.