Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonLBI

Squall

7 posts in this topic

About to pull the trigger on a new Squall. Which one do you suggest 12 or 15? It'll be paired with a Tsunami Trophy surf 11' XH 4-10oz. I fish the sandy beaches of Long Beach Island NJ which have very little hard structure. Usually shore break then a trough then the sandbar at about 50-75 yards. Use bunker chunks/noggins on a fish-finder or clams on a high/low with about 4-8 oz pyramid. Plan on using 40lb braid.

Thanks

Don

I use the Squall 15 on a 12 Foot Tica. It is my first Conventional Surf casting reel, so I am using Moimoi 20 lb mono until I get use to casting it. I was able to get it out at least 50 or 60 yards past the 2nd breakers at IBSP this fall with no expereince casting conventional before. It just winches in the bass. I got a deal on the Tica, it is a heavy stick, if it wasn't for the dea, I would have gotten an 11 footer for it. I like the reel a lot.

GSB

I have the squall 12 and love it.  It will beach anything that swims off LBI.  Some will say it is not a "big time 8nbait reel" due to its line capacity however I do use it drum fishing in HI without any issues.   I do not use braid on my conventionals.  One blow up and it a reel mess; mono much easier to pick out.  Also the folks at The Point in HI (where I do the majority of my bait fishing) do not take kindly to folks fishing braid.  Thinks about using 17lb test mono.

So 1 vote for the 12 and 1 vote for the 15, hhmmm.

I've been throwing a Penn Mag10 for the last few years so I'm not as concerned with blow ups as I am distance and "fishability". Right now I'm leaning towards the 12.

Not trying to steer you away from the 15.  I have 2 525mags (same profile as the 15)  and still fish them about every outing.  My next conventional surf reel most likely be a 15.  I really do like the 12, however I have a preferance for small profile reels; I just enjoy casting them more.

I have the 12 and and think i would have been better off with the 15. the extra line capacity of the 15 is enough to make it a no brainer with the weight of the reel being almost the same. 12= 14.4 oz. & 15= 14.6 oz. I dont use braid either on my heavers,not worth the headaches, just sayin :D