N. Chelmsford

Rate this topic

JohnnyGeff

Hey guys, I'm new to the N. Chelmsford area.  Just got out of the Army and moved back to MA after 8 years.  Have been reading a lot about the fishing in the Merrimack (I live about 1/8 mile from it).  Hoping someone has so good insight on what is running around this time of year in this area. I went out this morning with a few rooster tails and kastmaters but had no luck.  Hit a small bridge and saw about a dozen 12"-18" carp, but they weren't having the lure situation.  Thinking about heading back over there tomorrow with some corn.  Look forward to hearing back and hitting some new spots.  

I think fishing with corn in Ma is illegal, you may want to look into that first

go to Market Basket and get there brand of Quick Oats put a small pile of it in your hand and add a small amount of water press it around the hook and toss it out there, be ready to hold on

It's a little early for anything else fish wise, but there is a nice shad run coming up which is always a blast

not illegal to fish with corn in mass.

not familiar with fishing in the chelmsford area, but you can expect largemouth bass, pickerel & pike to be in the river, they are, below lowell, down to the dam, in lawrence.

for shad, you will need to fish below the dam, in lawrence, and there, you can find stripers, white perch, large & small mouth bass & pike as well.

good luck and thanks for your service.

... me and the pygmy pony, over by the dental floss bush ...

Welcome home.  I second the oatmeal balls. If you are having a hard time getting a good consistency for it to stick to the hook without crumbling or getting too solid, mix some peanut butter with the oats.

If you prefer lure fishing, there's quite a bit of small mouth bass in the Merrimack around the greater Lowell area (look for rocky bottoms). 

Thanks for all the insight and the quick responses.  Wanted to give you guys a little update...Went out this morning, hit the merrimack first.  Got 3 Carp.  posted a pick of the first one that I got, actually first fish since being home.  I've got about an 11 or 12 shoe, so I'm thinking this guy is about 24"-28".  After I got a few of those guys they stop hitting and I moved over to a pond near by and got a few small mouth.  Great day for fishing today!

IMG_0168.JPG